New Rumba Still no USB, but other boards are detected

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by 3DDP, Dec 20, 2016.

1. 3DDP

3DDP Well-Known Member

Why is it that the same computers that can detect a Arduino mega board, but cannot detect any of the Rumba's from BigBox? Drivers are supposed to be the same. Everything is the same to my understanding... but only the rumba's.... anyone have any ideas

2. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

3. 3DDP

3DDP Well-Known Member

4. 3DDP

3DDP Well-Known Member

Not even my astro-pi (Like octopi) will detect the rumba connected to usb

5. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

Have you checked the power supply jumper on the rumba?

Do any lights come on when you plug in the USB cable?

6. 3DDP

3DDP Well-Known Member

all the lights come on when i plug in usb except its red on the usb led, and it's green when it's running on 12 volt... but no matter how the jumper is placed usb always turns on the board. and it's the same on all the boards.

7. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

Please post a picture with enough resolution that all of the connections and jumpers can be clearly seen.

Does the Rumba work properly without a USB connection? How many different Rumba boards have you tried? (your posts sound like you have more than one Rumba board and that none of them seem to have working USB connections).

Is it possible that you have switched the USB data lines? Also, what baud rate are you trying to run the USB connection at? The connection is "serial-over-USB" so the baud rate the computer uses is important.

#7 W1EBR.Gene, Dec 23, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    3DDP likes this.
  8. 3DDP

3DDP Well-Known Member

No the rumbas don't even work or seem to have firmware on them when connected to the BigBox as nothing but a blue screen shows up...

I've tested the screen and checked the cables the LCD works fine until the rumba is tried to be updated and then firmware gets wiped out by the programmer which programs on a port that I can't even find or see even with everything that's hidden shown.

I've tried all the baud rates options. the standard one ramps 1.4 uses and then the one.

I have one Rumba that displays the big box firmware for a single that was just sent to me and I'm not going to try to update that via programmer since it doesn't even show on either of my operating systems, (I bought a dual kit). I might just have to print out parts for single and remove all the extra hardware for the dual and live with a single and only do SD card printing... but that ruins the whole reason why I bought the BigBox dual with harden volcano nozzles which was for carbon fiber parts with dissolvable filament. Which I'm out the 1300-1400$ since the BB doesn't work, so I can't even buy a printer with an alike build space or build a printer to generate income.

The attached photo has the drivers removed so you can see the jumpers... I am not using the stock drivers as they went up in smoke two rumbas ago when set to the voltage of .55v, I was running on .05 to .12v and motors worked just fine, and then when i went to try to update the firmware with the nozzle offset, I lost that rumba as the firmware disappeared when I tried to bypass USB with a programmer to update it since it wouldn't connect via usb... even the AstroPrint Box that works with my other printers can't see the BigBox when plugged in USB.

Attached Files:

9. 3DDP

3DDP Well-Known Member

I'm on four rumbas. I have had several posts... Greg emailed me and said I should just buy a different control board the duet one people are switching too... I'd be happy to send the rumbas back to big box in exchange for a duet... I just need this thing up and running I have people waiting on carbon fiber parts.

10. TimV

TimV Well-Known Member

I would start by putting the EXP1 and 2 cables both in the same direction.
    Where are your drivers?
    And... Your USB cable isn't in?
    I understand you went thru alot, but it's well worth not skipping steps and cutting corners.

In short, put all your cables and parts back, before trying again.

Have fun
    Greetz
    Tim

11. 3DDP

3DDP Well-Known Member

That was just a photo to show everything. Drivers don't impact USB connection, but with or without the drivers it doesn't connect. USB cable isn't plugged in because again, this photo was to show the jumpers, and everything connected minus the drivers. the USB is external since it's a dual with octopi and the octopi is unplugged. EXP are in the same direction. they're set up properly.

12. W1EBR.Gene

OK, so a couple of questions:

0) It isn't clear to me that you are powering the board, based on your answer to Greg. Forgetting about USB for a moment, does the power LED come on when you turn on the power supply?

1) How many pairs of open pins do you have to the left of the connector near the board label EXP3? ( I have 3 pairs of pins that are unconnected, then the green-yellow-black-red wire connector, then the fan connector (no unused pin pairs between the larger connector and the fan connector )

2) For me to get the cables to the LCD wired properly (i.e. both red stripe edges of the cables on the left) each connector had the ribbon cable attached like your left-side connector.

3) I am not able to follow how you bypassed the USB in order to update the firmware; did you use a programmer that works using the JTAG connection? What program did you use to update the firmware? Where did you get the firmware you used for the upgrade? (i.e did you compile it yourself?)

Gene

13. 3DDP

3DDP Well-Known Member

0) Yes Power LED Comes on Green with the power supply, and it comes on Red if the Micro Progammer or USB from the Computer is on, no matter what position the power jumper is on ALL of the rumbas.

1) I only have exp1 and 2. those are for the LCD. there is no exp3. everything is connected as in the picture minus the drivers, and the usb cord plugged in.

2) LCD is wired correctly. and has been switched according to BB instructions.

3) I used a USB tiny ISP V2 AVR ISP Programmer for Arduino, using Arduino to program with the BigBox Firmware, with the extra plug ins that were needed for the LCD screen, and ubg8 one that the stock BigBox Firmware doesn't have from their downloads that is needed.

I appreciate your help very much.

14. TimV

TimV Well-Known Member

Did you ever think about just trying it before doing the entire mess of reprogramming it?
    And with the switching, I hope you lean switching the cables on the display and not the sockets - http://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/BigBox_Printer_Sub-assemblies "Newer screen have already had their sockets swapped around. Please compare with the image below to see if they have already been swapped for you."

Anyway, your cables on EXP1 and 2 are asking for trouble. I would make a nice picture of it's current state, fully plugged in and connected.

Regards
    T.

15. W1EBR.Gene

There is an EXP3; in your photo, it is in the shadow of its' connector.

16. TimV

TimV Well-Known Member

What's connected on the Pwr just next to HE0 (Yellow wires)?
    I have nothing there.

Never mind - Rpi power :)

#16 TimV, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  17. TimV

TimV Well-Known Member

I just had a similar issue, both Tx and Rx lights where lid together and stay lid, even after a power off. And no way to get on the USB.
    Root cause, the Y cable for the Z axis, 1 wire was broken. Quick fixed it, all is back to normal.

18. 3DDP

3DDP Well-Known Member

"Y cable for the Z axis?

19. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Is it possible you could send one or more of your dead boards to someone else to try, we need to eliminate common things by testing the boards on a known good setup with a computer which is known to connect successfully to the rumba, then you can find the root cause. It's very difficult to believe that you've had 4 bad rumbas consecutively and that the update process which is mostly reliable for others (aside from a few quirks with the ftdi flash people get) has gone so badly for you in each case...there must be another common cause.

I'd do it but I'm UK based so it just makes the shipping of the boards harder.

Spoon Unit likes this.
  20. W1EBR.Gene

I am in the US and would be willing to try it out for you also.