New Titan Kit with Stepper Melt Down (Near Fire)

Discussion in 'Titan' started by Xzavier, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Xzavier

Xzavier New Member

Just installed the New Stepper into titan from the kit E3D sent me, I've heard of wantai before I heard bad things, Those bad things are true, The Stepper which I don't tend to look at because they don't hit 200'C normally Melted its Bracket I paid for and Nearly caused a fire, Nobody is at the office on the weekends right?

Attached Files:

2. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Not convinced the stepper is to blame here. What vref did you have the stepper driver set to, and what stepper driver were you using?

If the ref is set too high, the stepper motor will get too hot no matter what brand it is. The smaller the stepper motor, the less current it can handle.

Also, I doubt it got to 200C, probably more like 100-120C. Edge starts to get soft much over 85C.

3. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

It is not uncommon for a stepper to melt / deform plastic parts if not tuned correctly. Happened to me a couple of times when I switched motors and forgot to check the current limit.

If you exeded 120C by some amount it is a possibility the magnets have weakened. So keep that in mind if you use it again. It might have lost some power.