New V6 cooling fans are crap

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Montague Flange, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Montague Flange

Montague Flange Active Member

Well thats 3 NEW fans with shit connections. The crap black push plugs are fecking rubbish.

Another 9 hour print gone because of bad quality parts. Everyone has the same fault. The keep working loose and turn the fan OFF. Wiggle the connection and they work then dont then do

Not a happy bunny.

2. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

I am about to hack my fan leads and add the very same connectors that E3D use to make maintenance easier (heat-sink cooling fans).

The connectors used, or at least what they used to use (Molex "Micro-FIT") are and have been industry standards for years, and the metal crimp connectors engage (push fit) positively.

Made correctly there is zero chance of a bad connection assuming that...

A. The pin and socket are correctly crimped to the wire.

B. The metal pin and socket are correctly engaged in the respective plastic bodies.

C. Genuine Molex parts are used and fitted until the lock engages. (no way this can work loose)

The plastic body should have on it on the sides "Molex" on one side and "43645" on the other (part with little press lever to disengage it) and on the other on the wider part i.e. not on the sides "Molex and "43640" respectively.

The metal pin and socket can be removed from the plastic body with a special (expensive) tool, I'm told this can be done without the special tool too. Remove the pin and socket from the body to check where the problem is, and also engage the pin and socket without the body to see how well they engage. You may have to rotate the pin or socket to get the correct orientation to get them to engage.

What you find will be useful to both E3D and other users.

Searching on the part numbers above in this forum (complicated by the parts I have having RS numbers as well as Molex part numbers) will find a few posts on what parts to use/repair problems.

e.g.

43640 is also 43640-0201 and 679-5892 (RS part number) Male body.

43645 is also 43645-0200 and 447-6754 (RS part number) Female body

One of the previously posted numbers (can't remember if body or crimp connector) is wrong

3. Montague Flange

What are you on about ?

4. Paul Begley

Paul Begley Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="Old_Tafr, post: 30550, member: 1098”]

The plastic body should have on it on the sides "Molex" on one side and "43645" on the other (part with little press lever to disengage it) and on the other on the wider part i.e. not on the sides "Molex and "43640" respectively.
    [/QUOTE]

having just bought two new fans from E3D, and a bunch of molex connectors from Farnell, the E3D connectors (on the fan or extension wire) do not have “Molex” or any numbers on them. Will be interesting to see if i have any issues.

5. Old_Tafr

Just found a fan with connector and cable supplied a few months ago by E3D.

• The fly lead on the fan has a connector similar to a Molex but with HWT on the side and "13" in small figures on the back where the wires enter.

• The lead, leading to the controller has a connector with "1 BB" on the part where the wires enter (but no "HWT" anywhere).

These are obviously Chinese or similar knock-offs, copying the Molex but not quite accurately.

I tried various connections using both Moles parts and they mate well, ironically the E3D supplied parts mate well but not tested electrically, BUT if you try one or the other with a Molex part the mechanical connection is loose and could come apart, but I did not do with with the pins/sockets in the Molex. Even so the mechanical connection with a "hybrid" is poor.

Answer seems to be.

A. Check the E3D supplied connections, if necessary push the electrical connections out of the bodies to check them.

B. Don't mix Molex and non-Molex parts.

C. If in doubt, either return parts to E3D or re-make the supplied connections.

D. Check the connections where the wires enter the fan body, the wires enter via a cut out providing strain relief so even with the mechanical stresses of fitting and refitting the fans I would not expect these connections to be a problem, unless there is a manufacturing defect or the fan itself is suspect.

6. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

There are also compatible connectors made by Wurth Electronics, presumably under license from Molex. I've not had any problems mating Wurth with Molex connectors. However, the Wurth crimp pins for KK series connectors don't lock into the Molex shells properly. So avoid using crimp pins from one supplier with shells from another.

7. Montague Flange

8. Montague Flange

Well no markings on the cable plug, On the fan plug it says HWT

9. Old_Tafr

From the video it is not clear if it the wiring or the connector (that is nothing like the Molex or copy of Moles?) that is at fault.

Could you try removing the connector and just wiring it direct to see if it is the connector or the wires? maybe the wires as they enter the fan, or even the fan itself.

10. Montague Flange

ALready removed the connector and had it running. It IS the connector they are loose inside each other and the pins are loose inside the parts.

11. Old_Tafr

The connector looks nothing like the Molex parts I have or the Molex knock-offs I have on some E3D supplied fans and associated leads.

Video was a bit out of focus, can we have a photo of the connector?

#11 Old_Tafr, Dec 22, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  12. Montague Flange

MM no. I cut them off after the video and replaced them with ones that work.