Newbie needs help

Discussion in 'Titan' started by David Herriman, Aug 2, 2017.

  1. David Herriman

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2017
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have just bought a Titan and E3D lite. I have it ready to install and I have confirmed it all works.
    I am totally confused by the instructions regarding the steps:
    • Standard motor steps / rev = 400 for the new style motor or 200 for the old style motor (Refer to assembly steps if unsure which motor you have).
    • Standard micro-stepping = 16x
    • Gear Ratio = 3
    • Hobb Diameter (Effective) = 7.3
    200 * 16 * 3 / (7.3 * 3.142) = 418.5
    400 * 16 * 3 / (7.3 * 3.142) = 837

    When I open my settings in Repetier I get:
    E axis resolution: 105.00 Steps/mm
    E axis feedrate 45.00 mm/s
    E axis acceleration :80000 mm/s

    What must I alter?
    Many thanks
     
  2. Antoine

    Antoine Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2017
    Messages:
    47
    Likes Received:
    10
    You need to check your motor. If you have received the standard Titan with a motor recently, and the motor is black with an E3D logo, it should be a 0.9°/step motor (shown on the motor), which gives you 360° / 0.9° = 400 steps per turn.

    The formula then helps you to determine how many steps in the motor are used for 1 mm of filament extruded through the Titan. Microstepping is just a way of multiplying the amount of physical steps in your motor, which means, that for a 400 steps/turn motor, with 16x microstepping, you get an apparent 400 x 16 = 6400 steps/turn. Multily that by your gearing ratio (3:1) , which further increases the number of steps, and you get 6400 x 3 = 19200 steps/turn. You then have to divide that by the perimeter of your hobb, which here has an effective diameter of 7.3mm, hence your perimeter is 7.3 x π = 22.9mm/turn. This means, for every full turn of the hobb, 22.9mm of filament are extruded. Hence, For a 400 step motor on a Titan, you get 19200 / 22.9 = 837 steps/mm.

    TLDR: In your case, most probably as follows:
    E axis resolution: 837 Steps/mm <= CHANGE THIS ONE
    E axis feedrate 45.00 mm/s
    E axis acceleration :80000 mm/s

    Hope this helps!
     
  3. David Herriman

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2017
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks, I will try that.
     
  4. David Herriman

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2017
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Seems to work, thanks
     
  5. David Herriman

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2017
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Well, I managed to change the resolution to 837 (although every time I turn the programm on it has to be changed (Repetier)
    Trouble is, it will not print properly. The PLA keeps sticking to the nozzle and gets pulled around which in turn pulls anything off that is already put down.
    I have checked bed level (numerous times) and changed the temperature from 190 in steps up to 215.
    I am at a loss as my printer is now worse than original.
    Any ideas please
    IMG_1801.JPG IMG_1802.JPG
     
  6. Antoine

    Antoine Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2017
    Messages:
    47
    Likes Received:
    10
    The issue you are having is the lack of adhesion between the plastic and the bed. Either use a different tape (I have never used this marking tape) or a glass bed with some glue stick/hairspray. We find that blue painter's tape work okay, but a glass bed requires less maintenance, gets a better surface finish and is easier to calibrate. Using a silicon sock might also help, as it would prevent the plastic from sticking to the nozzle/block, reduce the amount of heat transferred to the part, and help with the thermal stability of your hotend.
     
  7. David Herriman

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2017
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks for your input but I find it hard to believe thats the problem.
    It was perfectly ok before I fitted the new extruder, so I can't help but think it must be something to do with this.
     
  8. Ephemeris

    Ephemeris Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2015
    Messages:
    296
    Likes Received:
    182
    I have to agree with Antoine. The filament doesn't stick soon enough so you drag a blob around and it all goes downhill from there. My best guess is redo your leveling and bed height adjustment. Swapping parts has altered the the height of the nozzle, and, as a guess, your nozzle is now too far above the bed during layer one to stick reliably.
     
    #8 Ephemeris, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  9. Rob Heinzonly

    Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2015
    Messages:
    362
    Likes Received:
    125
    Two other things you could try: increase the temperature of the bed by 10-20°C for the first layer, and / or reduce printing speed for the first layer to below 50%. This usually helps for me when printing with reluctant material.
     

Share This Page