no bigbox for me either then!

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by julesvapes, Aug 20, 2016.

1. julesvapes

julesvapes Member

I have been looking at the big box for a while, and finally decided to take the plunge.

i went on the website yesterday to order one, and there was no prices or anywhere to order.

I emailed support and today i received this reply:

Hi Mark,

We are currently out of stock of BigBox printers. We have no dates for when they will become available again.

Regards

Greg

not really helpful or informative!

has anyone here any idea of what is happening

thanks in advance

2. moshen

moshen Well-Known Member

Interesting... I wonder what that means as well.

3. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Hmm I know what it's like to have decided to get a printer and then to be made to wait! ;-)

In your shoes I'd pick up the phone...

Alex Stevenson likes this.
  4. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

Seems to me like a parts shortage. If their suppliers can't get them realistic time frames, it throws off the entire 'just in time' inventory.
    Send a private message to greg to get the scoop.

5. gonzalo

gonzalo Well-Known Member

Very alarming, I am telling everybody I know about how the BigBox and it is not even for sale any more.......!?!?
    I hope they are not killing it... I am still hoping for a lot more development in the software side.
    I am worried now

6. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

I agree that is a very bizarre response (particularly from someone so close to the BB project), de-listing it from the site rather than showing out of stock or a pre-order timeline is also a bit crazy after going through all the effort to promote and develop the thing on KS.

Perhaps financially it doesn't stack as a real product or perhaps they are doing a major update (or price change) and don't want to announce the changes quite yet ?

That's all in the category of FUD I guess but I really can't think of any other vaguely sensible reasons for pulling it from the site and Greg responding to a potential customer with such a dismissive email.

7. Mark_T

Mark_T Well-Known Member

I guess we have to remember that BigBox and E3D are separate businesses.

BigBox could cease production at any time and E3D just carries on as before...

8. Dr Jeep

I wouldn't worry too much. There is a good community with a significant investment in terms of running BB printers, most if not all of the development since launch has come from the community not E3D. It's why I picked an Open Source printer, for those that have them, regardless of what happens now or in the future, there will be spares available and updates will continue. Plus the main bit of software (Marlin) is really just some config on top of an entirely separate open source project. :)

mike01hu likes this.
  9. Dr Jeep

Actually what *IS* distressing is the Titan upgrade kits have also been pulled. :( I guess I'll have to figure out what is required and pull all the bits together to convert a BB pro to a Dual Hybrid myself.

10. Alex Stevenson

Alex Stevenson Well-Known Member

Yeah, the Titan upgrade was one of the things I was also keeping a keen eye on also. Thought at least it was going to be officially supported.

While I also agree the community is great, many have rather different upgrades, so getting support for a particular configuration may become increasingly difficult...

11. Tom De Bie

Tom De Bie Well-Known Member

Then I was just in time with ordering mine. On Monday only the BigBox Dual was available. Tuesday all where gone...

12. julesvapes

julesvapes Member

do you have a delivery date?

13. Tom De Bie

Tom De Bie Well-Known Member

Not yet, but when I ordered it stated that orders made would have a wait time for about 4 weeks. So I have patience and trust that E3D will send it when they're ready to do so ;)
    I have time as I can't commit to a build right now... So if it's four weeks or 8 I don't care...

14. Pipshag

Pipshag Active Member

I also managed to order a Big Box in time - the product was taken down from the shop just a bit later.

Wrote an email before ordering asking why the Pro disappeared and when they were expecting it back - with no answer to date! Over 3 weeks has passed.

Still put a order for a Big Box and got an estimated delivery time of 2-3 weeks when I asked them.

Not very confidence inspiring. Will the support simply choose to ignore customers when they want to?

15. Oliver

Oliver Active Member

It is quite funny, i ordered mine at 5.8. and got it already at 15.8.
    And now they don't even sell it anymore, must be a quick part shortage that they didn't know of i think ? Glad i got mine.

16. eca

eca Well-Known Member

Check out the post
    "Future production/support/spares"
    for an answers to your questions. I won't spoil it for you by telling you what has been shown there...

17. R Design

There are enterprising members of this community that have built the BB entirely from scratch by sourcing the components themselves. Many are standard and available in the E3d store.

The thing that people seem to find most challenging is lasercutting the frame cost effectively.

That is where your local Fablab/Makerspace might come in handy (and introduce you to another branch of digital fabrication!).

18. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Hmmm unfortunately all Fablabs within my reach have a laser cutter maxed at 600x300...

19. R Design

There are disadvantages to living in the country! ;-)

Laser cutter pricing is notoriously untransparent but there's a UK company created by makers that imports them from China, checks them out and sells them on in a fair way:

http://justaddsharks.co.uk/cutters

20. RTBiscuit

RTBiscuit Well-Known Member

i would happily lasercut for people but our bedsize is maxed out at 600x300