No power to LCD, No Lights on Rumba

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by cez, Jun 28, 2017.

1. cez

cez Well-Known Member

Hey guys, just after some advice. The Bigbox is powering on, I can see a green light on the power pack. The rumba fan/power pack fan is powered. But there is no LCD activity, no lights on the rumba either

I've swapped the LCD with a spare to eliminate it as a problem, it's not the screen, and it's not accidentally on a low contrast

2. A Dragon In A Pie Costume

A Dragon In A Pie Costume Well-Known Member

Have you tried changing the power jumper to usb mode and powering tje board off usb? That can determine if your connection or board are faulty

cez likes this.
  3. cez

cez Well-Known Member

Ive used a volt meter to check that the correct amount of power is going to the rumba (which it is) and I've removed the steppers one at a time to see if theres a faulty one thats stopping the board from booting. (but there isnt)

4. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

First has the BigBox actually been powered on previously or is this the first time it has been powered up, i.e. did it work last time you powered it up?

The power pack fan (and its green light) being on simply means "something" is happening at the power supply itself, not necessarily that there is any output to the Rumba.

I can't remember where the "Rumba fan" is connected, By "Rumba fan" do you mean the one in the lid immediately above the Rumba? Just looked and the fan above is powered from the Rumba card.

Reason I asked as if there was zero activity on the Rumba then it would appear that it didn't have any power supplied to it.

First check is at the power input to the Rumba,
    But if never powered before? is the polarity the right way round as the fan would run either way, but the board would not . You say "the correct amount of power" do you mean "volts" (pedantic but "power " is watts not volts) its the polarity that needs to be checked as below.

So check the polarity, looking at mine, from the front (obviously) at the bottom right of the Rumba there is a connector with six terminals, these from left to right red-black red-black red- black.

Regardless of the colour of the wires the six connections from left to right should be

(+ve -ve ) (+ve -ve) (+ve -ve) if my wiring is right !! and my BB works.

This of course depend on if the connection at the power supply end is the right way round?

(if there is a mains voltage selector is it set to your country power supply voltage?)

------------

First though, has it ever been powered up and working ok?