No update to RC7 (at the moment)

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Alex9779, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

As some of you might have noticed the Marlin devs tagged RC7.
    Right after release I found an issue that because of some checks the MBL stuff wouldn't work with our setup. Not that it would not work without the checks but they are in the tagged version.
    Last night they added some more commit to the RC branch including the removal of that check but the tag didn't move yet, I have no idea if that will happen.

To sum up, I am currently happy with RC6, it is stable except the tool switching feed rate bug which can be worked around.
    I for myself am trying RCBugFix and RC7 but I don't think I will update my RC branches soon because there are so many changes to the config to do and then integrate the features I added for the BigBox.
    And I would have to update the S3D profiles too because of some behavioural changes...

PsyVision, Paul Seccombe and moshen like this.
  2. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update Alex!

3. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Thanks Alex! I wonder how much of an improvement RC7 would be over RC6 anyway. Time will tell, eventually :)

4. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Let me explain with this: RC6 fixed a lot of issues. RC7 fixes one for dual prints which you can work around in RC6 but you have to work through the whole config and check everything maybe also on a real machine to see if it works. Yeah there are some nice features but they are also fresh and untested...

5. Mark_T

Mark_T Well-Known Member

I'd certainly agree it is worth letting RC7 'soak' a bit before jumping into it...

6. moshen

moshen Well-Known Member

The LIN_ADVANCE feature of RC7 looks very interesting and could drastically increase the quality of prints at high speed. Really looking forward to playing with that. Thanks for all your work Alex!

7. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

8. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

9. moshen

moshen Well-Known Member

Alex, what's the github issue # on the MBL issue with BB for RC7 so I can track it. Am really itching to play with the LIN_ADVANCE feature as it solves a huge quality issue when printing fast..

10. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

There is no number anymore because they fixed it a day or two after tagging RC7.
    So if you take RC7 with the first commits right after it in RCBugFix you can set it up...
    But I think that LIN_ADVANCE was in before?

11. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

The problem was that in RC6 you could set up a probe and use MBL.
    Denen going to RC7 probes were revamped and bricked MBL so you had to deactivate which didn't matter in our case.
    The issue is not a real issue but they introduced a sanity check that safe homing was only possible wihlth a probe. We need z safe homing but this then required again a probe which bricked MBL.
    You could just load RC7 and deactivate that sanity check for z safe homing and deactivate he probe too...

12. moshen

moshen Well-Known Member

Ok, I basically need RCBugFix and apply the patches for Hybrid Pro MBL as that's what I'm using. I'm going to start by cloning your Branch for that Alex, then seeing if I can merge RCBugFix into that. Then I need to compile with LIN_ADVANCE enabled. Let me know if you think there's an easier way to merge the BB changes I need into the latest RCBugFix.

13. gonzalo

gonzalo Well-Known Member

o_O I feel like a GED dropout when I read some of these posts...

And I have been 3D printing for 2 years now!

And I have 2 degrees!...

Including COMPUTER SCIENCE!!!

You guys are rocket scientists!!!!

LOL

Alex9779 likes this.
  14. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

It's just pure witchcraft with @Alex9779 and company dancing around the GIT cauldron! Don't try to understand, just pray that the spells are focussed on Marlin!!! :eek::confused:o_O

Alex9779 and Tom De Bie like this.
  15. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I would do that different...
    Merging current RCBugFix into RC6 is a pain in the a**...

*some time later*
    Oh well I just checked the Marlin repo and they moved the RC7 tag... RC7 is now what RCBugFix was yesterday I think so the "fix" is there. As I said it is not a fix it was just that the system didn't allow a specific configuration. So still the bug is in there if you want MBL AND a probe, BUT THIS IS NOT NEEDED FOR OUR SETUP!

Still merging RC7 into RC6 is a pain in the a** so I would rather set the config from the scratch. I tried it and because of some changes at least one section doubles and then you get errors...

I am working on a different solution to compile the different flavours for the BB. Away from the multiple branches but a just the configs in a sub directory and then a batch with arguments building each...

But as told I see no point to switch to RC7 now.
    And again @moshen LIN_ADVANCE is also available in RC6, just activate it... No idea if they changed something after RC6 but it is in the config...

16. moshen

moshen Well-Known Member

Well, I did the merge work for the specific setup I am using (Hybrid Titan Pro MBL). I didn't check first if LIN_ADVANCE was in RC6, but oh well :) I needed to figure out how to compile the firmware anyway and upload because the baud rate also needs to be lowered to 115k due to the processor load LIN_ADVANCE adds.

Playing with LIN_ADVANCE now. As I suspect, it's a significant print quality increase when printing fast. I'm headed to bed but will have some sample pictures in the morning.

My branch for RC7 is here:
    https://github.com/mosh1/Marlin/tree/BigBox/Pro/RC_Hybrid_Titan_MBL

@Alex9779 hope you come up with a cleaner and more sustainable setup to maintain all the branches. We really appreciate the work so far.

17. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I like the thing @tohara did... Maybe this will be the future solution... I thought about this but unfortunately my skills in Python and Web are just basic...

18. Stian Indal Haugseth

You know if this is reported on github? Any link to issue?

Using dual Z stepper drivers is not working on RC6 but it works on RCBugfix. But I want MBL and my z probe :)

19. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

If you get the current tag of RC7 it is possible again to setup no probe but use z safe homing... it was earlier you just had to disable the sanity check...
    The problem using MBL with a probe so has not been solved yet I think and there is no issue for this... but again for our setup we don't need a probe... you just have to take care of the positions you set up for z safe homing because without a probe the probe offsets are not taken into account so the values are for your first nozzle...

20. Stian Indal Haugseth

Ok I was abit misleading. I want my MBL and Z probe only for homing. Not for the MBL it self :)