No USB Connection

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by 3DDP, Nov 19, 2016.

1. 3DDP

3DDP Well-Known Member

Now that I've finally gotten everything pretty much running, trying to connect and upload firmware/change G-Code for the dual extruder offsets, I cannot connect via USB.

I've tried my iMac, the windows PC, and several cables for connecting, I've tried moving the jumper, and it's all a no go. I have no lights on the rumba near the USB port. Would this mean I need a new rumba possibly after my Z axis stepper got smoked?

2. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Can you report back on these things, it's unlikely this is a fried rumba, I've never heard of anyone frying USB on a rumba.

What do you see in the event log (or system log on OSX) when you plug the usb in ?

Have you installed any specific drivers or are you trying this with the stock ones ?

On windows what appears in the device manager when you plug the board in ?

Is the problem that no com port appears in the drop down list to select or that one does but when it does you can't connect to it ?

What are your baud settings ?

3. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

You are powering the printer while connecting and not relying on the usb to power it?

4. Jasons_BigBox

Jasons_BigBox Well-Known Member

I'm on Windows 10. Here's a bit of an earlier post:

"I'm running Windows 10 too. I installed the driver and connected to the BB without too much of an issue but I couldn't do anything else until I set the baud rate to 230400 in S3D as described above. After that I can use S3D to control the printer.

I found that xloader (to update firmware) doesn't work unless you set the baud rate to 115200 in xloader."

Maybe it'll help?

5. 3DDP

3DDP Well-Known Member

nothing on both iOS and windows ten, in any program, with several usb cables....

6. 3DDP

3DDP Well-Known Member

yes printer is powered on.

7. 3DDP

3DDP Well-Known Member

Nothing appears in the com drop down. like the rumba doesn't exist being connected

8. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

I have the exact same symptoms after I (through my own stupidity) fried the Rumba and replaced with a new one. No ports shown in Octoprint's connect dropdown menu. I'm waiting for a RPi3 to see if that will reestablish USB communications. One weird thing, immediately after wiring in the new Rumba I was able to see the Rumba long enough to flash it to RC6. After that I was never able to see it again. Not sure what that tells us...:confused:

9. 3DDP

3DDP Well-Known Member

I'm on my third rumba, and have rewired this machine to the point of I have it memorized... but I still check and compare with the build instructions just in case...

I just want my damn thing to work... and connect.

10. 3DDP

3DDP Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm not using the purple steppers as they fried from the last rumba due to unknown issue other than the voltage being set at the instruction voltage, and the voltage is .05-.15V to make the last motors work vs the .55-.6V as stated in the instructions.

Also yes my extruder motors are extended with the red and black wires as the cables were too short.

It's a dual big box.

Attached Files:

11. Dr Jeep

Why is the Y stepper cable round the wrong way ?

Unplug everything from the Rumba other than the PSU cable and the USB, you can leave all the steppers wired in if you want but pull all the driver boards out.

At the very least you should have a green "pwr" light by the USB port now, if you have that then it should be appearing as a serial usb device now. If you get that then plug in the display and see if it comes up, if it doesn't it could be the contrast setting on the display (small power variances between boards might mean that a contrast setting for one rumba won't work for another).

Then plug in things one at a time...a fault somewhere else can brown out the whole system, the fact that you've gone through 3 boards leads me to believe the problem is somewhere else.

12. Dr Jeep

Confused as to why the cables were too short as well, did you put the right cables on the right steppers (not that is your main problem here, just curious)

13. 3DDP

3DDP Well-Known Member

It's a dual direct drive, with pancake motors instead of the dual hybrid. I know... stupid to mod a printer that wasn't working. but it's only changing the motors outs and physical components and not anything with electronics.... and the Y is backwards so it moves the correct way... at least when I had it on the last two rumbas.... I had to cut the X steps in half and double the Y steps per mm. to get proper movement, and my steppers are at .05 to .12V so they don't cook, which moves all the motors properly, the .55V-.6V cooked the stock steppers, and didn't provide smooth movement of the stepper motors for X, Y, Z axis

14. 3DDP

3DDP Well-Known Member

I unplugged everything step by step and still just a solid Blue lite up LCD screen...

15. 3DDP

3DDP Well-Known Member

I'm at the end of my wits, with a $1400 useless 3D printer.... that for the life of me even with nothing plugged in won't connect to any computer... I seriously think it's a firmware block/glitch... because the when i was accidentally sent a single extruder flashed rumba it worked... it connected to the computer to be flashed... than after that nodda... same with the two that were sent already flashed... No USB connection... and all my devices connect to my other two printers, and one is a dual set up...

16. Tom De Bie

Tom De Bie Well-Known Member

I think the chance that you are having three bad RUMBA boards is quite low...Sorry if that's not the answer you were waiting for...
    I would check the cabling and especially the PSU cabling as these would cause a broken board when connected the wrong way.

17. 3DDP

3DDP Well-Known Member

It's been rewired, and taken apart and put back together so many times, it's memorized. I checked the voltage, and it's good. even on stand alone USB none of the rumbas are visible since they've had the Dual firmware.

18. Tom De Bie

Tom De Bie Well-Known Member

If you connect only the RUMBA to a pc via an USB cable. Which leds light up?

19. Dr Jeep

Well you have a right to a working printer. Ask the E3D guys to send you a tested working board, already flashed with the build of Dual firmware you want, test it outside the printer first and confirm you can connect, then connect everything one thing at a time. You aren't going to like this comment and it's not meant as a criticism but your approach hasn't been all that methodical. Get the thing working nice as stock and then mod it, test parts before you fit them etc etc :)

Nothing you do flashing the printer code on the atmel chip can stop the board appearing as a USB device because that bit is done on a separate USB2Serial controller. Those controllers do become corrupt for some reason for some people and that guide I think you followed already should have got you past that.

Short of that send your last dead board to someone else to confirm what's blowing on it, if you want to send it to the UK I'm happy to do a bit of a post-mortem on it and see if I can get to the cause.

20. 3DDP

3DDP Well-Known Member

I do realize I should have kept things stock, but to be honest, I can't see how taking my stock dual hybrid to a dual direct changes anything... only difference is the extruders are hardwired, vs pin connection.

what I have seen was my last rumba worked with everything as a dual direct drive, until it was time to do a usb connection... to change the extruder offset which would have to be done on the stock hybrid dual as well...

Secondly only time any of the three boards connected to a computer was when I was accidentally sent a single extruder flashed rumba, and I followed Greg from big box's instructions to flash the board to the dual... and then I never got a connection again.