Noise

Discussion in 'Motion System' started by twam, Dec 22, 2019.

1. twam

twam Active Member

Hi everybody,

The movement of the toolhead is quite noisy and it is almost impossible to sit near the printer for longer than 15 minutes. Sitting next to my Prusa i3 MK3 was never an issue.

At first I thought this might be some resonances caused by the table it was sitting on, but moving it to another place didn't help much. What's the noise of your toolchangers? Did you do anything to get it down?

Best regards
    TObias

2. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

@twam : Decreasing the current on the XY steppers will reduce the sound considerably. This is what I have on my Toolchanger:

M906 X1000 Y1000 Z1330 C400 E900:900:900:900 I30

Brian Boatright likes this.
  3. twam

twam Active Member

Hi @Rob Heinzonly,
    This already helped a lot! Big thanks! Next steps is to work on the fans. :)

4. Jai Stanley

Jai Stanley Well-Known Member

I got some really poor extrusion with the bowdens at a similar extruder current. Had to put it back up after random first layer issues and poor perimeter quality.

5. Andy Cohen

Andy Cohen Well-Known Member

When running with 4 tools you'll have all 4 extruder fans going plus the downward fan for the selected tool. Thats 5 fans plus the PS fan makes six. Thats a lot of fan noise no matter what you do.

6. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

I am guessing that the 40mm fan on the Hemera is quieter than the 30mm fan on the V6. Can anyone confirm this?

7. Krayn

Krayn Well-Known Member

Yes, The entire extruder is much quieter than the old titan bowden setup. So quiet that I didn't believe believe that the extruder motor was actually functioning, I thought It was miswired.

Unfortunately the tools are so close to each other in the TC that I have accidentally broken both fans at this point while trying to pull the tools out of the carriage while the fans were on. I have made a new bracket that places them slightly further apart to prevent this in the future.

8. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

I've done the same. Strange thing is, I have two Hemeras and both fans are among the loudest of any fans I have had on a printer.
    In fact, they move so much air that I have decided to reduce the speed to 50%. They are almost silent now. Did not have not any problems with clogging untill now.....

9. Jai Stanley

Jai Stanley Well-Known Member

I might try this and sterss test it. Trouble I have is that I also have an insulated enclosure for printing Polymaker PC max and ABS like materials. I'd worry about heat creep when cooling the heatsink with 50 degree air. The enclosure does reduce the noise considerably. I did have a SHRIEK from the machine the other day... The fan in the power supply is clearly a cheapo unit and wailed till I tapped on the PSU. Annoying! I might swap in my 350W Meanwell. It's dead silent till the fan kicks in, then is whisper quiet.

10. twam

twam Active Member

Yes, that power supply fan is really bad. I'm also thing of either changing the fan or the power supply. First idea was to use a passive one, but I'm not sure if this is a good idea when closing the back.

Nibbels likes this.
  11. mebrein

mebrein Member

Well I ordered this Mean Well 500W fanless supply. It needs to be mounted on an alu baseplate for extra cooling. I think I will replace the backplate with an aluminium one.

UHP-500R-24

Mean Well AC-DC PSU - UHP-500R-24 -PSU Led 24V /20.9A DC-OK

12. Nibbels

Nibbels Well-Known Member

+1

I hate to have bought this S-400-24v. I thought this might be a good one if E3D chose it. But I really like to send it back.
    And it stinks. Whenever I power it up the whole room smells like electronics.
    Efficiency 81% ..

#12 Nibbels, Jan 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  13. mebrein

mebrein Member

To put the money where the mouth is.... I prototyped the following dxf's for the Mean Well UHP-500. So the backplate will be aluminium, between the power supply and the backplate will be cooling paste. It will be warm so maybe an extra cooling fan for the duet is needed.

I also added an extra mounting option for the stepper drives on the elec. It's just an idea so the steppers can be placed wherever you like. Happy to hear feedback.

The design needs to be verified anyone interested drop me a PM, I will send the DXF's.

Elec panel without holes for the PSU:

Rear panel with holes for the Mean Well UHP-500

#13 mebrein, Jan 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  14. Nibbels

I searched for PSUs last night and got stuck with the same model you chose. Else 350W or 500W.
    As we have no 24V heated bed 500W/21A is well ok I guess.
    (7 Steppers at 2Amps -> ~14 Amps -> 66% of rated current at maximum)

The thermal output should be < 30% of the previous PSU. Because the efficiency is 81% -> 95%

The height is 31mm, we have 29mm left to add a fan within the back panels. That is what I will do.
    I have some https://noctua.at/en/products/fan 24V fan here which I will use to avoid needing the aluminium backplate.

mebrein likes this.
  15. Nibbels

Screenshot_4.jpg

Now I will see if this gets hot or warm only.
    The printer is now absolutely silent when no stepper is on.

twam and mebrein like this.
  16. mebrein

mebrein Member

I think it will eventually get too hot.... I even think to mount the PSU on the outside of the box. And design a box around the terminals. Like Prusa did with the MK3S printers. I will have to wait a week before mine arrives. I currently borrowed the PSU from my Prusa printer ;-)

17. Nibbels

I dont have all the hotends mounted. Only one hotend/E0-Stepper is connected. As far I can tell the PSU is absolutely cool while running the board and idle currents for XYZ and C Steppers and possibly E0.

There is not any change of temperature I can feel.
    Just room temperature.

The PSU itself is very heavy. They put alot of glue (mass) inside of the PSU and as well the aluminium profile is quite heavy. Still not comparable to a gold bar but it really feels like I payed for pure mass. https://www.meanwell-web.com/content/files/pdfs/productPdfs/MW/UHP-500(R)/UHP-500(R)-spec.pdf 0.905kg

(I still dont have the the docking parts, so I still have no chance to test it while printing.)

#17 Nibbels, Jan 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    mebrein likes this.
  18. Paul Meyer

Paul Meyer Well-Known Member

Just bought the same Meanwell UHP-500R. Once I get the printer stable I'll be exploring mounting options. Putting the PSU in a separate enclosure, possibly attached to the back/left corner seems like the simplest: just a vertical aluminum box with good top/bottom ventilation to get a chimney effect going.

19. twam

twam Active Member

Also planning to order this. Did somebody found a good/cheap source besides the usual suspects (Mouser, Digikey, ...)?

20. mkudzia

mkudzia Active Member

Did you replace the stepper motors? What are your acceleration settings?