not printing......

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by KNM3D, Apr 29, 2016.

1. KNM3D

KNM3D Well-Known Member

saved the gcode to the flash drive from s3d, but when I start print the printer doesn't heat up. any ideas whats going on?

very confusing it was working.

Attached Files:

2. KNM3D

KNM3D Well-Known Member

I attached the setting images.

3. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

Do you start the print via Octoprint or via the printer screen ?

4. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Possibly not related, however I had a similar issue when trying to print out the calibration files, for me it was caused by one of 2 things:

1. The RaspberryPI being plugged into the Rumba but not running OctoPrint (i.e. the PI was just running using the default files on the SD card which I think is the PI NOOB setup), resolved by either unplugging the PI from the Rumba OR installing OctoPrint on the PI
    2. In Simplify3D I had the wrong firmware selected and so for instance the fan control codes were incorrect

Rob Heinzonly likes this.
  5. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Update, there is a third issue that has just happened to me, that is that you are using the Dual 1.1 Profile but only with 1 nozzle, with the Simplify3D Startup script mine has it that it waits for the nozzles to get to temperature before starting to print, however from what I could see the logic doesn't check if there is only 1 nozzle setup with a temperature (as in your case), so it sits there waiting for the temperature of nozzle 2 to hit 0, which the nozzle is probably running at about 24 so will never get to 0.

For mine I quickly went into the Control -> Temperature and set nozzle 1 to the original temperature set in Simplify3D and nozzle 2 to 24, then it started printing instantly.

The alternative is to go into Simplify3D and comment out the lines that tell it to wait until nozzle 2 has reached its temperature (which it wont as its 0), but remember to uncomment if using both extruders (I assume there is actually control logic that can be applied to selectively run the code based on the number of extruders selected in Simplify3D):

;heat extruder 1
    ;T1 ; select extruder 1
    ;M109 S[extruder1_temperature] ; set extruder 1 temperature and wait

6. KNM3D

KNM3D Well-Known Member

I use the flash drive.
    I don't know how to setup the octoprint.

7. KNM3D

KNM3D Well-Known Member

the weird think is I can bring a file in slice it with S3D and put the flash drive into the machine, boom it works.
    but if I set a surface on the buildplate, and then slice it and print it doesn't do anything.

8. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Sorry by flash drive do you mean the SD card or a USB flash drive?

What do you mean by "but if I set a surface on the buildplate, and then slice it and print it doesn't do anything."

And do you have a BB with a RaspberryPI installed?

#8 Ray, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  9. KNM3D

KNM3D Well-Known Member

yes SD card
    not sure about the raspberryPi I just put the hardware in. no updates to anything like that.
    there is a menu that you can go to view or something(im at work so cant pull menu right now) and it allows me to select it and click on a surface and it will lay that surface flat on the build plate

10. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

try these explicits steps
    1. Pull the USB cable from the PI (the Pi and Rumba are no longer physically connected)
    2. reboot the printer (power off/on) - I am assuming the printer's SD card is in the reader on the LCD screen's left side, if not insert it now
    3. Select control->temperature and set extruder 0 to 190C
    4. Back out to the info screen and see that the temp comes up to spec (the extruder is disabled when cold)
    5. Go to Prepare->Autohome
    6. Assuming that did something go to #7
    7. Go to Print From SD card -> Calibration -> extruder 0 g-code file
    this should cause the head to autohome then move to the dump bucket and spew 100mm of filament. if for some reason the filament doesn't move (assuming it's not trying and is mechanically jammed) take a photo of your RUMBA board (lift the fan cover) so we can see the wiring...

11. KNM3D

KNM3D Well-Known Member

ok.
    will do.
    the one thing though that makes me think its not the wiring or the printer is it WAS printing amazingly.
    I put the input specs pics up for the s3d, because that's where I thought things were bad.

12. KNM3D

KNM3D Well-Known Member

huh so it will print on fast, medium, but not on high.
    lol that's weird

13. KNM3D

KNM3D Well-Known Member

so when ever I pick this menu and pick the surface I want to lay on the bed
    it wont let me print the model. any ideas why?

Attached Files:

14. Henry feldman

Do you get an error?

15. KNM3D

KNM3D Well-Known Member

no errors

16. KNM3D

KNM3D Well-Known Member

this is crazy it will print some models and wont print other stls of the same fricken model, the change is the setting such as resolution and finite settings like how many skirts.

17. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

One thing is you mentioned you use the menu to place on surface, I have to admit I have never used that I always click the Center and Arrange button under the area that list the components, maybe give that a try after changing any settings (although the first thing I always do is load the stl then click the Center and Arrange button and then make any changes I want to do. One reason I suggest this is that you mention it prints on fast/medium, this impacts the layer thickness and so wondered if the model was not on the surface as the menu would suggest it should be doing.

One question, have you zoomed in on where the print touches the surface in the Simplify3D preview to check the model (and brims etc.) are actually touching the surface and are not over or under the surface?

One other question, does it do this even with a real simple calibration cube or similar stl from thingiverse?

One last thing, is the thing you are trying to slice/print available online? If so I would happily try and slice it with Simplify3D and see if I get the same results as yourself?

#17 Ray, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  18. Henry feldman

OK, I have seen this, since STLs have weird surfaces. You can have some huge flat plate, but it is not one giant polygon. In S3D if you double click on the model the transform setting show up. You can manually rotate the model 90 or 180, etc that way you know it's right. What I do generally if it's a weird shape is rotate by hand to approximate, then go into the manual settings and make them all multiples of 90...