SOLVED Nothing happens when trying to print my first benchy

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Duncan Chivers, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Duncan Chivers

Duncan Chivers Well-Known Member

So I finally had some time to take it out of the box ...

I've done the filament measurement calibration, auto home and level bed. All these seemed to work perfectly. But now when I heat the nozzle to 210, the bed to 50 and then select the benchy gcode from the pro folder on the card, absolutely nothing happens. It's just sat there right now, fans spinning.

The nozzle temp seems to be fluctuating between about 208 and 212, and the bed is sticking to 49 or 50.

Any ideas where to start? 20160702_162330~01.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

A couple of ideas. Firstly, there was a bug in the RC4 firmware (I think?) where if a filename began with a number it wouldn't print. If the benchy gcode file on your SD card is called '3dbenchy.gco' or something similar, try renaming it. Secondly, the print won't start until the the nozzle temperature is sufficiently stable, so if it's oscillating a lot that might be causing the problem. If that's the cause, you'll need to tune the PID - try this thread for the procedure but note the correction to the sequence of steps further down the thread.

3. Duncan Chivers

Thanka Sarah, I'll change the filename anyway, and check out the thread about tuning the PID.

4. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

I was unable to print from the sd card when octoprint is connected but that was before I had it configured to connect properly. If you either start the benchy print from Octo or unplug the USB cable from the rumba does it work ?

5. Duncan Chivers

Yes, thanks all - works fine from Octoprint. I intended to use that moving forward anyway, so all good!