Nozzle clogging

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by NG_Loc, Mar 21, 2019.

1. NG_Loc

NG_Loc Member

Hello,
    I bought myself an E3D V6 Hotend and now I always get a partially or fully clogged nozzle after a few layers. As you can see on the printed part the first layer was "okay", the second layer misses several "lines" and the third layer only has a few lines where the filament came through the nozzle (printed at 215°C with PLA from "DASFILAMENT").
    Here is what I tried so far:
    - disassembled and reassembled the hotend several times (incl. hot tightening)
    - used fresh thermal compound (brand: Noctua)
    - cut the Bowden-Tube sharply
    - tried 2 different nozzles (0.4mm)
    - tried 2 different extruders (see pictures for 2nd extruder)
    - Retraction-distance between 0.6 and 1.0 mm (as proposed)
    - tried different temperatures from 205-220°C (note that the manufacturer specifies printing temperature for its PLA filament at 215°C ± 15)
    - And I read through the whole Troubleshooting-Guide but again: no luck for me

The fins are cold to touch when I heat the Hotend!

Do you guys have any clues what could cause the issue? I'm out of ideas what I could try to make it work [​IMG]

My Printer:
    - Custom Anet AM8
    - E3D V6 Full Metal Hotend
    - BLTouch
    - Marlin Firmware (Thermistor correctly defined)
    - Extruder from "bernis-simple-bowden-extruder.com"

Thanks in advance!

Nico

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Daniel Rock

Daniel Rock Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Hi,

All of the settings for the HotEnd side of things appear to be correct, I suspect the issue here is the torque output of your extruder, we recommend the use of a geared extruder such as the Titan and the compact but powerful motor for use with the V6. Both the extruders pictures appear to not be geared and I'm not able to see the tooth details of the Hobbs. One thing that might help with your current setup would be to increase the filament tension.

3. NG_Loc

NG_Loc Member

Hi,

thanks for your quick response! I tried to oil my filament a little bit and was able to print successfully. Moving to a geared setup seems to be a good idea. Will give that a try! Thanks again!