Nozzle heigh adjustment on an Aero?

Discussion in 'Titan' started by orcinus, May 6, 2018.

1. orcinus

orcinus Well-Known Member

Any ideas on how to adjust the nozzle height (to get a dual extruder setup in-line on Z) on an Aero?

Obviously, I can't simply unscrew the heatbreak a bit on the taller nozzle, as then it'll be loose in the threads. And unlike with non-Aero, where you could use a mount with set screws between the extruder and the hot-end, allowing adjustment, with Aero, there is simply no way to do that, as it's an integrated unit.

Very shoddy design, IMO, unless i'm overlooking something.

Why doesn't it have a set screw so the cold-end can be tightened in place even if not screwed in all the way?
    In fact, unless someone thinks it'd be a bad idea, i'm seriously considering drilling and tapping a hole for that very purpose...

2. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Titan Aero was not designed as a dedicated "dual" extruder. The idea was that if someone was going to mount it in a dual setup, they would include some kind of levelling device into their mount, as there are few printers which use dual direct drive and requires levelling of the sort nowadays (Idex, Bowden/direct combination...). The fact that the heatsink is integrated to the extruder also prevents us from having an easy solution for "adjustable" nozzle height. This is all in an effort to save weight and make the whole package as compact as possible.

3. veng1

veng1 Member

How about a jam nut on the heat break the is tightened against heatsink? Adjust the nozzle up and down by unscrewing it to the desired height and then tighten the jam nut to lock it in place.

orcinus likes this.
  4. orcinus

That's brilliant!
    And should work, with a suitably thin nut (go too thick, and it kinda, sorta, partially defeats the purpose of the space saving design).

5. orcinus

Eugh.

The 1.75mm E3Dv6 uses an M7 thread on the heatbreak, according to the wiki.
    Good luck finding an M7 nut :(

6. veng1

veng1 Member

Maybe E3D should stock those.

But Google finds them as a potentiometer nut: M7 X0.75

7. orcinus

I'd swear i've had one just like that, from a pot somewhere, but can't find it anywhere.

I ended up assembling and disassembling the "longer" hotend until i got the difference to about 0.2mm.
    Then i've just trammed the nozzle with a piece of sandpaper so they're both even.

Should do for now, until i find a suitable nut.