Nozzle on brand new E3D v6 unscrews during each print

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by Ray Vin, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Ray Vin

Ray Vin Member

I didn't have this problem with the original hot end but my new E3d v6 hot end has a nozzle that seems to have a mind of it's own. It literally unscrews itself during each print destroying the printed object. I tighten it down but I'm afriad to over crank the wrench and break the nozzle. I thought about using something like Loctite but I think that would make it difficult to switch out nozzle tips. What should be used on nozzles?

#1 Ray Vin, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  2. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Step 21.3 on this page..

https://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/Bi...:_Step_By_Step_Assembly_Process#Where_next.3F

refers to...

https://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/E3D-v6_Assembly#HotSide

The assembly of the hotend, is a dim and distant memory but the last time I assembled one but I remember having to tighten things in a specific order (bold type is from the assembly page).

"Gripping the Heater Block with a spanner, tighten the Nozzle with a second spanner. Do not over-tighten, we are going to tighten it up later when the heater block is hot."

Did you follow this procedure, i.e. the initial assembly "do not over-tighten" and then tightening again when hot?

I cannot imagine it coming apart after tightening when hot. Although without torque figures and with most people not having a small torque wrench does make the interpretation of "tight" open to interpretation.

3. Ray Vin

Ray Vin Member

Yes, pretty much screwed it in for the first time with my fingers. Heated the hot end to 100c and then tighten it up. But still it loosened and last night I followed the procedure again but I put more force to it. Today I was able to get two successfully printer jobs completed. I might have been over cautious as the reason I replaced this hot end is because I over exerted the last and sheared the nozzle off. It seems is though it's fixed at the moment.

4. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

It's all down to "feel" on how much you tighten, but I would suspect that if the pressure you exert on a spanner isn't more than a few inches from the part being tightened that you can't apply too much pressure. I think 100c may be a little low, what do the instructions suggest?

5. Dan Halsall

Dan Halsall Member
    Staff Member

Hi we suggest that you Hot Tighten at 285ºC so 100ºC is far too low and would account for the nozzle unscrewing.