Nozzle Temperature for ABS?

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Old_Tafr, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Changing from PLA to ABS I upped the temperature in s3d to 210oC manually, not using the Auto Configure for Material Setting.

I started a print which worked for the first layer of a raft after which no more extrusion and the hobbed wheel was grinding through the stationary filament.

Selecting Auto Configure in s3d I noticed that ABS was set to 225oC not 210.

In Octoprint ABS is set at 210,

I'm about to try now with the auto setting (225) which logically will work as I assume the filament wasn't melted sufficiently.

Just seems odd that there is such a variation, is this related to the make of ABS?

I'm using E3D everyday filament.

2. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Read (taken from the description in the E3D store):
    "This is an awesome quality filament - some of the nicest-to-print ABS we've ever used, on an easy-to-manage spool, that is shipped shrink wrapped with a packet of dessicant. Manufactured in the EU at a facility which with we work closely from resin specially formulated for 3D printing, with no mystery additives or possibility of harmful contamination.

Variance in diameter guaranteed to be better than +/-0.05mm for 1.75, and +/-0.10mm for 2.85mm. However in practive we're seeing much better tolerances than this, in the order of +/-0.02mm. This filament is easy to print, produces good quality prints, with extremely low ooze, nice surface finish, great bridges and is generally everything you would expect of good quality filament but at an everyday price.

This ABS prints best at temperatures from 230c to 240C, depending on your speed and layer height. Prints onto Kapton, or "ABS juice" coated glass, or UHU Stic coated glass with a bed temperature of 110C."

3. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Ah as it says on the label on the reel (NOT ) :)

4. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Usually every manufacturer has a specification on the Internet, some on the spools but on the spools I found only the temperature for extrusion.
    My Colorfabb spools has not label until this week (?) because the new spools I got this week have finally a sticker telling what kind of filament it is and what the recommended extrusion temperature is.
    Colorfabb has learn.colorfabb.com where you can get more information for specific filaments like bed temperature of speed...