Nozzle X- I don't really get it.

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by halfshavedyaks, Jan 8, 2019.

1. halfshavedyaks

90% of my printing is carbon fibre filled, usually PLA.

The regular hardened nozzle is a bit prone to clogs. I've been printing with the plated copper nozzle and watching for signs of wear - I can't see any after 500g of carbon but of course it is hard to see. I have had some blobby prints, but that could be any number of things....

Anyway Nozzle X interests me - but I'm not sure that i see the point.

Is the nickel plating on nozzle X harder than the nickel plating on the copper nozzle? If not why not just use the copper nozzle?

Will the nickel plating on nozzle X wear off after 10kg plus of carbon filament? If so I'll stick with the regular hardened nozzle.

In short - What is the point of using hardened steel only to coat it in something less hard?

#1 halfshavedyaks, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  2. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

The nickel plating on nozzle X is as hard as the plating in our copper nozzle. However, as the base material is harder in nozzle X compared to copper, the surface hardness should be higher. For the copper nozzles, we use the nickel plating primarily as a defence against corrosion and to reduce plastic build-up on the nozzle, the added hardness is just a bonus. In the case of nozzle X, the plating is here mainly for it's hardness properties, and as a non stick coating if the nanocoating wears off. It also protects the nozzle against corrosion without us having to use black oxide (as we do on the hardened steel nozzles).

Laura Farrell likes this.
  3. halfshavedyaks

OK, so it is the same plating as the copper nozzle. So what is the expected lifetime of the plating on the nozzle X in terms of printing typical carbon filled PLA? Is the plating covered by the no wear warranty?

Does the hardness of the steel substrate actually reduce wear on the plating? it is hard for me to see how that would be.

I strongly suspect that abrasion resistance may not be the same thing as hardness at all, but I'm not a materials scientist and I'm guessing a bit.

4. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Abrasion resistance and hardness are linked when talking about non lubricated moving parts. It is not the only parameter affecting the abrasion resistance of a component, but is critical to reducing wear.
    For components handling fluids (or viscoelastic polymers in our case) charged with solid particles, it is important that the areas where the flow is most restricted (in our case, the nozzle) is as hard as possible. This reduces the possibility of deforming of the component, which would result in a change of the flow characteristics.

Another factor affecting the lifetime of a nozzle is surface roughness. The smoother the surfaces in contact with the material are, the lower the frictional resistance, and the lower the wear. Nickel plating provides that, and also improves what people refer to as "stiction", further reducing friction and helping keep the nozzle gunk free.
    But this plating is useless if it is softer than the base material, as it would wear away and all of the advantages would be lost. The same is true the other way around. If you plate a very soft material with a very hard coating, the soft substrate will deform before the plating, but the flow would still be modified and the nozzle considered "worn".

For more information on the warranty, please follow this link: https://e3d-online.dozuki.com/Wiki/Nozzle_X_warranty

5. halfshavedyaks

The warranty says that the non-stick coating is not covered by the warranty - I would assume that means the nanoweb coating - it does not say anything about the nickel plating either way. That's why I asked.

sure, but i still don't have answers to whether the nickel plating can be expected to wear off with use or if the warranty covers that. The warranty is for "the geometry of the nozzle" but it isn't clear whether the plating wearing off would alter that significantly. Certainly the plating wearing off would make the nozzle X no better than a regular hardened steel nozzle.

i get that the slickness of the nickel will reduce wear, and also reduce sticking and jams, which is the only advantage of nozzleX over a standard steel nozzle from my point of view.

I'd also be interested to hear if anyone has worn out a plated copper nozzle from printing carbon fiber and if so, how much carbon it took to wear it out.

I strongly suspect no-one actually knows how long the NozzleX plating will last since the Nozzle X hasn't been used to that extent yet - but there must be some sort of expectation about what will happen on the part of the designers.

6. Laura Farrell

Laura Farrell New Member

Ordered one last week and will be printing in Colorfabb PA-CF so that will show quickly enough.