nozzles cant level

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Austin, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Austin

Austin Active Member

so for some reason, i cant seam to get the nozzles on my dual aligned with each other. the one on the right is maybe about 1mm or so lower than the left and the screws wont tighten any more to raise it. i have removed the heat sink from the carriage to make sure that there wasnt any blockages inside and double checked the heating block to make sure that the screw that buts up against the nozzle is level with the top, which it is. i even used digital calipers to measure the distance between both heater blocks and their nozzles and they were the same, but just looking at it i can see that the right heater block is slightly lower than the left. so besides loosening and retightening the left extruder to see if it will sit lower (both of the tighening grub screws protrude farther from this one as it is), can anyone think of anything else i can try or have had any experience with this issue?

2. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

A photo might help? It could be the hotend isn't assembled correctly, or that the PTFE is too long so that it can't move upwards further

3. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

are you sure those rubber rings are in both holes ?

4. Austin

Austin Active Member

I double checked the ptfe when I had it out and it's 66mm
    The o-ring on the right is good, but I didn't think to check it on the left
    That's a good idea
    I'll take some pictures when I get home

5. Austin

Austin Active Member

So I disassembled and reassembled the X carriage and cleaned the heat sink holes a bit and they both go in the same amount, but the left nozzle is still lower
    In the picture you can see that the left is actually inserted further than the right
    It somehow looks like the right heater block is crooked, even though everything threads on smoothly
    looks like my heat break is bent, is it possible that i did this during assembly, or might e3d replace it?

Attached Files:

#5 Austin, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  6. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

So it looks as though the left one is too low, if the heatsink holes are ok and the PTFE is definitely the same length then I wonder if the hole that the PTFE goes into, at the top near the hobbed bolt is not allowing the PTFE to go all the way up ?

7. Austin

Austin Active Member

well the odd thing is is that i had only tightened the left one until it was just snug, it has room to go up more, but even with tightening the right one down all the way the right nozzle is still slightly lower
    i would take another picture to show the nozzles but ive just taken out the right heat sink again to try and figure it out
    i had tried really hard to make sure that both heating blocks were screwed in exactly the same amount and that the heat breaks were level with the top of it, but they are still off

it looks like the right heat break might be a little bent, but im not sure if that would cause this issue or not

8. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

I bent my heat break too from over pushing the assembled hot end into the x-carriage. It's a damned tight fit. I probably need to sand those down, which I'll probably sort properly when I refit for the Hybrid head. I bent it, I know I did with all that force I was applying. I just ordered a new heatbreak and it's there waiting for me when I fit the hybrid. I kinda bent mine back to compensate and it's fine for now (PS I was very very gently when bending it back)

9. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Good you said that, otherwise I would have had to inform "Heat Break Rights Watch" :p

mike01hu likes this.
  10. Spoon Unit

No heat breaks were hurt in the process :)

mike01hu likes this.
  11. Austin

Austin Active Member

Haha thanks guys
    I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one bending stuff! Those poor, poor little heat breaks

I'm getting one sent out with my Titan upgrade so I guess I'll just get it all sorted out then

Have they released a shipping time frame yet?

12. Spoon Unit

Not to my knowledge. I'm in no great rush though. Printer works great already.

13. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Catriona said they start shipping next week.

Austin likes this.
  14. Austin

Austin Active Member

awesome! cant wait

15. Austin

Austin Active Member

i was just now able to bend the heat break back by screwing the heater block and heat sink together so that there was only about a few mm gap and then gently slid my metal spatula under the bent side, and it worked great!! thought i would share in case any one else runs into this problem