OctoPrint Camera Mount Upgrade

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by JohnEsc, Mar 19, 2016.

1. JohnEsc

JohnEsc Well-Known Member

If there's one thing I'd like to see someone design a replacement/upgrade for, it would definitely be the OctoPrint camera mount shown below. I've had a really difficult time keeping the camera pointed down @ an angle since the bottom screw doesn't have much room to tighten.
    [​IMG]

2. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Mine had room, was self printed too, is the camera definitely set in place correctly?

3. JohnEsc

Richard, you were able to tighten your screw all the way? My screw started coming thru the back...
    Mine looks like this currently: http://i.imgur.com/S0gYJks.jpg
    Dimple in the back of the housing from the screw almost poking thru: http://i.imgur.com/eImc8Fv.jpg

#3 JohnEsc, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  4. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

5. JohnEsc

My circuit board doesn't fit into the housing to angle like that. I have a print that's about to finish. I'll take the camera apart when it's done. I'm pretty sure I used the correct length screw according to the manual which says it should be an 8mm screw.

6. JohnEsc

So I just checked mine and I was correct... I am using the correct 8mm screws and the circuit board DOES NOT fit inside the 3D printed part I received. I see the angle inside of the mount but the circuit board can not get inside the mount square. The print doesn't seem to be correct. I may try a reprint of the part to see if that will help.

7. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Just remember to tighten the bottom screw first so you do not bend your board and use the upper only to hold it in place...

8. Spoon Unit

Yeh @JohnEsc, I looked at mine and it doesn't really look like a great fit, but i think that's sort of the point. It fits inside the box for the lower screw and on the box for the upper screw. I think that's part of the design in order to create the angle.

9. JohnEsc

So it looks like my problem is that I received a printed part that wasn't completed. Look at the difference of the printed part I just printed and the one I received. Now I'm able to fit the camera into the mount properly if I can get this damn tiny screw to catch!!! Ugh![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PsyVision likes this.
  10. Spoon Unit

@JohnEsc wow. Yes, you really did have a problem part. Now it's clear why you were in trouble.

11. alexmordue

alexmordue Member

@JohnEsc My camera mount was printed the same as yours, I wondered why the screws went all the way out through the back :)

12. JohnEsc

Glad this post helped someone else. It really makes a huge difference to have a perfectly printed part! Works great now...