OctoPrint Camera Not Working.

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Syko_Symatic, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Syko_Symatic

Syko_Symatic Well-Known Member

As the title says I finally have the printer working and OctoPrint monitoring it quite nicely. Only issue I have now is that the camera doesn't appear to be producing an image. It is definitely plugged in. Any ideas?

PsyVision likes this.
  2. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Did you enable it via the SSH (putty) session?

Syko_Symatic likes this.
  3. Syko_Symatic

Nope! You are quite right, in my mad rush to install OctoPrint I missed the option to enable the camera. I shall add it to my little list of things for tonight. This step should be added to the wiki manual as it does not seem to be there!

4. Syko_Symatic

Now I have and still nothing! Boo!

5. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Make sure the camera chip header is firmly pressed to the camera board. Mine was at a slight angle and did not work until I spotted it.

Mike

6. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

Mine isn't working either, and I have enabled it...

Red light, so it's getting power, but just the broken image icon in the control tab.

7. Chase.Wichert

I've tried everything I can think of. I did have it plugged into the display port on the pi, but I have switched it, and the broken image icon has gone away, but nothing streams. I have enabled the camera, and am even trying to watch the simple stream that shows up when you go to the <ip>:8080 and that doesn't even work.

8. Syko_Symatic

I checked the camera board last night but I don't have a light or anything. I will have to check the connection to the Pi and see whats going on at that end. Does the orientation of the ribbon cable matter on either board?

9. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

10. Syko_Symatic

Yeah I gathered as much. Guess I may have it the wrong way round on the Pi board. I will have to see if my hand will fit it otherwise it may mean a base removal.

11. Chase.Wichert

Hah, I tried that, you will have to remove the base. ;)

12. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Chase, it is mildly possible that plugging your camera module into the display port killed it, I just compared the pinouts and that would have placed a 3.3v supply line on the SDA pin of the camera module...Like most micro interfaces I2C works by pulling down against a resistor holding the pin high. So in your case it would have been trying to ground a supply rail :(

The I2C interface is needed to bring the camera online so does the red light come on, and immediately or after a few seconds once the rpi has booted and octoprint is running ?

Can you log in via putty (or whatever ssh client you are using) and post the output of the following command.

service webcamd status

13. Chase.Wichert

Usage: /etc/init.d/webcamd {start|stop|restart}

I believe the light comes on after it boots up. So not immediately.

And I have bought another camera module, should be here tomorrow, I thought maybe I fried it.

#13 Chase.Wichert, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  14. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

did you buy the official Pi one or the one on the BB?

15. Dr Jeep

ooh I am on a nightly and they have changed the service scripts to systemd ones now, forgot normal people are on the previous raspian release :)

You could try the following
    sudo /etc/init.d/webcamd stop

(camera light should go out at this point)

Then
    raspistill -o cam.jpg

Should turn the camera light on briefly and return to a prompt after a few secs...then you should find with the ls command that there is a cam.jpg file. If you want you could use something like filezilla to do a scp copy of this file to your desktop so you can look at it.

Or you'll get an error in which case post here.

It's very strange you are getting the camera light on but no image in octoprint

16. Chase.Wichert

In response to PsyVision
    Uhh, what is the difference?

17. Chase.Wichert

No data received from sensor. Check all connections, including the Sunny one on the camera board

And yes, I have check the sunny one on the camera board.

18. Dr Jeep

Oh dear...I suspect then that if it is definitely plugged in right at both ends then either the ribbon is damaged or the camera module is fried :(

19. Chase.Wichert

My bet is the camera module. I tried the small ribbon cable that came with it, and the same stuff is happening. Atleast I hope it is the camera module, so I have one on the way. And I don't have a ribbon cable on the way lol

Thank you for your help, I'll post an update, and probably put some more warnings in the wiki to help prevent that, lol. I just rushed, saw a connector and plugged it in, didn't even know there were two I2C connectors on there until I read that someone plugged there into the display port, but he never continued with his experience.

20. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

The one that comes with the OctoPrint upgrade isn't the standard Pi camera. I can't remember what module it is but it has better optics or processing.