OctoPrint Camera Not Working.

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Syko_Symatic, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Oh I didn't know that, I had assumed it was just the stock PiCam

2. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

So, good news and bad news, the new camera works, bad news, it worked for 2 minutes then I tried to fold the cable and broke two traces.... Now it doesn't work, and have to wait on a 75cm ffc from China, I did buy 3 just in case... So close! But so far...

3. Syko_Symatic

Syko_Symatic Well-Known Member

Update: I have my camera working now. Had it plugged into the wrong point on the Pi! Bottom off cable moved and now it's perfect! If only I could get my ports to open properly then it would be great!

4. Chase.Wichert

Forward port 5000 on your router to 80 on your pi

5. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Oh @Chase.Wichert :(. Sometime's you need other options than "Like". Perhaps "Commiserate" would be a good addition for this forum :)

6. Chase.Wichert

7. Spoon Unit

I think I've got mine now running at 1280x720, and hopefully the resulting timelapse will be much higher quality. I'm running a 5 hour print right now to test it, and my only real concern is that the space on the 8gb card in the Pi will be filled before it all completes. We'll see.

8. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

That's why I mounted an NFS share on my NAS to the RPi and using this to store all the data OctoPrint produces like the uploaded files, the time-lapse temp and the rendered time-lapse videos...

9. Chase.Wichert

Uhh, completely new to RPi and Octoprint, anyway we could get instructions on how to do that, as I have a 12TB Synology NAS ready for my new camera ribbon cable... ;)

10. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Fairly easy. I can't tell you how to make a share on your NAS you gotta figure out for yourself, NFS is a keyword. NFS works with real paths so maybe if you make a share called "OctoPrint" and set it up in the options (that's how it works on one of my NAS system, a QNAP) then the path you have to use is something like "/mnt/storage/OctoPrint".

What I can tell you is that you have to make a directory on your RPi preferably in /mnt
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/NAS
    Then you edit your stab file located in /etc
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/fstab
    and insert something like this
    Code:
    [insert IP to your nas or DNS name]:[insert path to the share on your nas] /mnt/NAS nfs defaults,nolock,noatime 0 0
    You can then do a
    Code:
    sudo mount /mnt/NAS
    I found that it is inevitable to have a fixed IP address on the RPi for the share to be mounted on boot because of some strange initialisation order on the RPi because if you use that share then in OctoPrint in the folder configuration and the share is not mounted when OctoPrint is started OctoPrint will fail to start.

To make the RPi have a fixed IP with the OctoPI image edit the /boot/octopi-network.txt file and insert your desired settings there.
    Do
    Code:
    sudo nano /boot/octopi-network.txt
    and insert something like
    Code:
    iface eth0 inet static
            address 172.16.10.11
            netmask 255.255.0.0
            gateway 172.16.0.1
    Set the values to something that matches your network configuration.

BTW I am not sure if "nano" is there in the OctoPi image. If you get an error just install that tiny little editor by "sudo apt-get install nano".

11. Chase.Wichert

Thanks! I'll take a look at it when I get a chance.

12. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh btw I forgot you gotta take care of the access rights when you mounted the share with chown.
    Otherwise OctoPrint has problems writing and deleting files.
    I made the following structure in my share:
    • timelapse
    • upload
    and chown'ed the dirs to the pi user
    Code:
    chown -R pi:pi *
    An "ls -ls" should then show the correct owner with right to write in the dirs.
    On your NAS the rights might show a different user or just a number but that does not matter...

13. Spoon Unit

Yeh. That was on my to-do list. I'm not totally excited about the Wifi performance on the Pi3 at present though. To counter it's slowness I've plugged a crossover cable from the Pi to my laptop and am, presumably, piggybacking on that alternative route through the network. Since I did that, the performance of upload to the Pi is much better at any rate. That all said, the bandwidth consumed by one frame every 10 seconds shouldn't really be a huge issue.

14. Spoon Unit

Sorted out my Pi3 network performance. It was connecting to the wrong access point, 2 rooms away and a number of thick walls in the way. Now it's going through the ceiling to access point above it's getting 74Mbps instead of 11 (and a flaky 11 at that). Much improved overall and I can hook it to the server now.