Octoprint Cammera

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by corey, Apr 23, 2016.

1. corey

corey Well-Known Member

I have setup octoprint, but it does not show picture through camera,

It is the camera that came with the printer, there is a red light on the front of the camera but nothing shows in octoprint.

Is there any setup i need to do ? in the settings under ssh i selected to enable camera is there anything else i should be doing ?

octoprint.PNG

2. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

The only setup I did was the flat cable connection to the Pi in Printer Main Assemblies, where the only possibility is having the cable mounted the wrong way round. I found the cable difficult to seat properly and looking at the photo the connections should be towards you, not possible to see once the box is built but the connections are on the plain side of the flat cable not the side with writing. Just checked on a spare PiCam and yes the connections are on the plain side of the flat cable.

The only other setup I did was to select the camera option under OctoPrint Upgrade.

Yes the red light is on on mine with camera working.

There is an Webcam setup in Octoprint "Settings" but I don't remember configuring anything there.

3. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

Setup, no, operationally yes. Octoprint is taking photos, but you actually want to see them, which is a totally separate service (yeah, I know, WTF?) to do that. You need to select this option:

[​IMG]

then it takes a little time before the service starts. I've found that sometimes it won't immediately show on the control page, and you have to reload the page.

4. corey

corey Well-Known Member

@Old_Tafr If i had the cable round the wrong way would i still get the red light on the camera ? i assumed the contacts are only on one side of the ribbon so if the wrong way round i would have no red light ?

@Henry feldman i do not have them options on the system tab i only have shutdown, reboot, or re-start octoprint....

5. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I think those options are only in the newer build (nightlies?) of OctoPi for the new RPi version. Not in the stable one...

6. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

I had a similar problem when I first set up Octoprint on my K8400, I solved it by updating the firmware on my Pi. Could be worth a try.

7. corey

corey Well-Known Member

Just tried that and still not picture showing

8. Chris Toast

Chris Toast Well-Known Member

I think the camera cable installation is unclear in the wiki. The ribbon has contacts on opposite sides of each end, but the wiki doesnt show it well. Remove the cable from the ZIF socket on the board. Verify that the contacts are pointing towards the PCB. This is reversed at the other end of the cable.

9. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

And I assume you are logged in (or didn't enable access control?)

10. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

That is correct. So if the light is not burning, you have a hardware problem (and you probably have to switch the position of the cable in the Raspberry..

11. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Looking at a new (but not supplied by E3D) PiCam the cable only has connections on the white none blue writing side, so assuming the supplied one is the same then, no you would not get the red light on if the cable were reversed. I have the cable I removed before fitting the long one, I will find it and take a look, but I'm fairly sure that is identical.

If you don't get anywhere then maybe you have or know someone with a Pi which would allow you to test the camera supplied by E3D separately.

I guess it is also worth re-running the utility to enable the cam. There will also almost certainly be camera troubleshooting on Pi sites on the web.

Just found the original cable... it is same as supplied elsewhere as is one sided and at the Pi end the contacts are on the white (non writing) side.

Interestingly at the camera end the contacts are on the the blue writing side, but as you suggest if fitted the wrong way round why would the red light be on. Still worth a check at both ends...maybe the cable is skewed slightly with only some contacts being made.

I still like the idea of a separate test and you could install the OctoPi o/s on another SD card as part of this test.

12. Kick2box

Kick2box Well-Known Member

I did not remember exactly, but I found here:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/New...nt-/step4/Configuring-Octopi-on-RaspBerry-Pi/
    Enable Camera
    This is to enable the RaspBerry Camera. If you use an USB camera, you do not want to hit this one, as it is either or. You can always go back and change this later.
    Enable Camera: hit Enter. You are asked if you want to enable support for Raspberry Pi Camera. If you do, you use Arrow-keys to select <Enable> and hit Enter.
    You will be returend to the Raspi-config.
    Note: There is an options file in the root of your SD Card, where framerate can be changed from the default 10fps to something else.

Maybe you missed that...

13. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

I've never seen the light on those cameras come on and the camera not be working. It's possible the problem is your browser is unable to render the video. If you enable timelapse mode as per the instructions on the wiki and run a short print, download and play the timelapse video, is the video viewable then ?

14. corey

corey Well-Known Member

Hi Guys

Just got my camera i ordered and it now works, looks like i fried the one that came with the BB... Looks like if you plug it in the other port on the Pi it will fry the camera...

15. 3DogModeling

3DogModeling Active Member

That isn't necessarily true...I had my RPi camera cable in the incorrect slot through 3 reboots before I noticed the incorrect location and my camera works fine...must have been something else.

16. corey

corey Well-Known Member

LOL must it....

Please clarify your source that states that it is totally impossible to fry it by putting it in the wrong port ? then i can send it back to E3D and quote this thread that they sent me a defective camera that's in my draw...

#16 corey, Oct 21, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  17. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Looking at the pinout's it is totally possible to fry the camera by plugging it into the wrong port, it's just a luck thing I think if you get away with it (and down to which way round you put the ribbon when you put it into the display connector)

18. corey

corey Well-Known Member

Hi @Dr Jeep my thoughts exactly, just love some of the comments people @3DogModeling make :rolleyes:

19. Tom De Bie

Tom De Bie Well-Known Member

ROFL... There's much more to laugh about... ie, plugging the camera in the wrong port ;)
    At least @3DogModeling was willing to share his experience with you... think about that :rolleyes:

20. corey

corey Well-Known Member

Telling someone there experience is cool that's what the forums is about, telling someone it MUST be something else is misleading and a bold statement to make without any further technical information to back it up. or the next person comes along and thinks you can plug the camera in what ever port and the camera will be fine. which is not the case ;)

mike01hu likes this.