SOLVED OctoPrint forces a Marlin reset on start/restart of server.

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by mike01hu, Jan 20, 2017.

1. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Twenty two hours into a large print run and a lot of expensive filament used, I switched on the PC to see how things were progressing and the OctoPrint server decided it needed to restart, so I clicked OK and it reset the printer! Many expletives deleted!!! I have not noticed this behaviour before and wonder if there is something I have missed as I can see no settings for this?

2. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

You mean you were printing via octoprint and you restarted it or were printing via SD and restarting octoprint killed the printer? Scenario one is clearly true, number 2 would be a bug

3. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

Had Octoprint run an automatic update perhaps? (I hate and disable automatic updates on everything)

mike01hu likes this.
  4. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

It is a known "issue" that if you establish an USB connection to the RUMBA it resets the board.
    But there is nothing we can do about it. It is in the USB to serial chip or something... Has nothing to do with Marlin. Any other firmware would to that too...
    I think most of the RepRap electronics based on the Mega chip have that. My UM2 does that too...

5. mike01hu

No Henry, not via OctoPrint as I am using that to monitor what's going on visually and temperature wise. Alex has furnished the answer, so a useful tip is don't allow a server restart and don't re-establish a USB connection during a print. It was my fault as I was getting bored waiting for the job to finish so fiddled! :(:confused:

6. mike01hu

Thank you Alex, that explains everything nicely. As I said to Henry above, keep your fingers away from OctoPrint fiddling while a print is in motion and don't do a USB change!

7. mike01hu

Yes! My bad!! :(:confused: