COMPLETE OctoPrint - How to configure a wi-fi dongle

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Pierce, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

@Jon and on wired OctoPrint worked fine right? It's just wifi with issues?

2. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Hi @Pierce yes I think I have now had it connected again with wired, after a bit of re-inserting, etc.

3. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

If it's playing up there is no harm in re flashing the whole image and starting again!

If my route doesn't work we can always look up some alternative connection setups in case it's the wifi driver not working as expected with these settings

4. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

If you do flash a new image it's worth noting I've always setup wifi as per the octopi docs, by writing the image to SD card then updating octopi-network.txt on the flashed card before transferring it into the Pi and that has just worked for me. I don't know if it only works with certain wifi dongles, I've used the Edimax ones on all my Pis and they just work with no tinkering. I'm not sure this method works for more advanced setups like allocating a fixed IP, but I do that via my router anyway, and once you get it online you can always discover its IP address and then do anything more advanced via SSH.

#24 Sarah Nicholson, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
    Pierce likes this.
  5. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. I'll probably get a chance to look at this again over the weekend. Is re-flashing difficult, complicated? I guess I just follow the instructions in the build manual, but it's a headache I would rather avoid. Perhaps I can just readjust the .txt file direct from the card?

6. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

It's probably worth trying that first since it is easy and quick to try, but flashing a new Octoprint image is also pretty straightforward.

1. Download the latest image from https://github.com/guysoft/OctoPi, unzip it and and save the .img file somewhere.
    2. Follow the instructions here https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/installing-images/README.md to write the .img file you downloaded in step 1 to your SD card.
    3. Once the image is written and while you still have the SD card in your PC, edit octopi-network.txt in the root directory and put your wifi details in.
    4. Put the SD card in the Pi and boot up.
    5. If everything is working, you should be able to discover the Pi's IP address and use SSH to connect to it.
    6. Run sudo raspi-config and do any other config steps like expanding the file system etc.

Good luck!

Pierce likes this.
  7. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

I am sort of following this thread...... Problem is/was? working Pi with or without OcoPi, worked on Ethernet but not configured for wireless?

Although a bit drastic is an option, get another SD card and reconfigure OctoPi, or just zap the existing one.

Then start again as the state of the existing operating system on the SD is sort of unknown.

So get back to a working Pi with Ethernet, then try again.

All this needs is at most is removing the SD card and replacing with a new one.

8. orcinus

orcinus Well-Known Member