Octoprint remote

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by TstarkEngineering, Nov 19, 2016.

1. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Well-Known Member

I know people dont recommend it because it can be hacked, but when I remote into my pi I get this menu and nothing more. Aren't I suppossed to get like a home screen (like windows OS) or something similar? Do I have to load Pi OS to it first. Or is it not even possible when using Octoprint alone.

Thanks

Attached Files:

• pi.png
      pi.png
      File size:
      4.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

That's just a Linux shell prompt (On Linux a Desktop interface isn't always installed by default). What are you actually wanting to do remotely ?

You could install a desktop interface but I'm not clear on what you need it for and running it will take memory and resources away from running octopi ?

If you want remote access to the octopi web interface so you can manage your printer remotely, then you need to forward the web ports to it not the ssh port (though there are reasons why you want to add some additional protection first...at the absolute minimum I'd forward it on an obscure port number so it's less discoverable)

3. Dr Jeep

oh and please tell me you have changed the default ssh password, of username pi and password of raspberry before you made it available externally :)

4. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Well-Known Member

O of course. I just would really like to access it from my work desktop to run prints. But wasn't sure how exactly to login to the octopi/local interface.

5. Dr Jeep

ah ok, is a password set on the web interface (so you have to log in to get to admin) ? if so then look to see if your router supports port forwarding with a different source and destination port. If so then I'd recommend proceeding as follows. With the caveat that I don't consider this very secure and have taken additional steps.

Most offices and reasonable size businesses are on a static (or static range) of IP addresses, browse to a site from work such as whatsmyip.org and record your offices external ip address from the banner at the top (this is different to your machine address on the office network)

Set up a new port forwarding rule on your router

Source port should be an obscure number, preferably above 1024 and I'd recommend not higher than 32768. So the rule would look something like this.

Source port: 1088 (or whatever)
    Source Address: your office external IP address
    Destination port: 80
    Destination Address: IP address your octopi is on (this may change but your router might have a facility to issue a static DHCP address for a specific device on your network)

You can make the source address : Any (sometimes expressed as 0.0.0.0/0)

But then your printer is accessible from anywhere on the internet and only the plain text password would protect you, plus even without the password due to what I consider a bug in octoprint it would still be possible for anyone to view the camera and download previous prints in your queue and only the random port address would be making you harder (but not impossible) to discover. I'd recommend against that.

6. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

Octoprint is not based on a full release of Raspian (raspberry pi's version of linux) but rather the "lite" release which doesn't include all the x-windows stuff. It only has the command line interface. You can of course install all the x-windows stuff, but your pi is a bit more fragile (the octoprint release is specially tweaked) and will be way more full. Once you have the x-windows stuff you can of course then select from the raspi-config app to start in a windowed environment or just manually start x-windows when desired.

7. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

I would use a SSH tunnel.
    like this:
    - set new password for pi (passwd) on the octopi
    - on your router forward a port (23456) to your octopi (IP) port 22
    - find a way to know your external IP on change (dnydns)
    - on your remote (work) PC ssh into the pi with a tunnel.
    Code:
    ssh/putty -L 80:octopiIP:80 pi@yourrouter.ip:23456
    - no on the remote pc http://localhost ... have fun