Octoprint Upgrade: Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by JohnEsc, Mar 17, 2016.

1. JohnEsc

JohnEsc Well-Known Member

Just wondering what others thought about Octoprint's updates... Is it safe to do the stable Octoprint upgrades as soon as it notifies you that an update is available? @Greg Holloway Version 1.2.10 is available today!

2. Syko_Symatic

Syko_Symatic Well-Known Member

I have updated mine, it seems fine.

3. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

@JohnEsc. Two points of view.

1. They don't realease a new 'stable' version until they're pretty sure.
    2. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If you adopt the first, you trust the team that put the software together. You can always read the release notes and find out what they changed. If you adopt the second, equally valid, point of view, you essentially say, the software works for me, and there's no reason for me to alter it.

4. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

Although, especially if you are putting a hole in your firewall, always, always check that this isn't a security patch, in which case it is really broke even if it doesn't seem so... Remember your Pi is a full linux box which is a full peer on your network...

mike01hu and Spoon Unit like this.
  5. Madeinoz67

Madeinoz67 Active Member

Not only should you keep octopi updated, but you should also log into your pi via ssh and keep the OS up-to date via the apt-get commands., vulnerabilities are being found all the time so make sure you keep things updated.

JohnEsc and mike01hu like this.
  6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

It's always a good idea to backup your octopi sd on a semi regular occasion, especially if you are concerned about update issues

I really ought to back mine up

7. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

I have a feeling the Pi3 has done away with the springed eject of the SD card, so I've been putting off attempting to get mine out. I too should really get it out and get it backed up.

8. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Yes I noticed that when I upgraded a pi2 I was using on another device to a pi3 and now need tweezers to change the card. Kinda annoying I am guessing it's a cost thing but it's made it instantly harder to use when cased.