Odd bumps on flat, extruded surface. Too much extrusion?

Discussion in 'Titan' started by traw1234, Jul 27, 2016.

1. traw1234

traw1234 Member

So I have a Prusa i3v with a Titan and V6. My problem is that sometimes it seems like too much is being extruded. I haven't had the chance to play around with the extrusion settings, but I just wanted to see if there could be a different issue. As shown in the image below, it is relatively consistent for some parts, though "bumpy" on others. Thanks! IMG_1797.JPG

2. Eviltoy

Eviltoy Well-Known Member

yup overextrusion

3. Jean VISCONTE

Jean VISCONTE Member

On S3D, I use 85% coefficient, and it works very well.

4. pliskin2009

pliskin2009 Member

Hello there,

Im on a similar problem on here, recently updated my p3Steel prusa to an kit Titan E3DV6Full Direct , and Ive spent about 3 days tweaking diferent profiles on S3D and checking the E Steps , I Have DRV8825 with 1/32 and my DEFAULT_STEPS are like ( 160,160,800,1614) right now doing nearly most perfection the 100mm extrusion until mark above the ptfe tube.

Dont know what to do the first print I have done was a nearly perfect 2cm calibration cube, but right now I cant do anything right, seems like extrusion is flawless and leaks random above the layers reaching the point that sides are overflowing the nozzle until the full print warps and sticks to it, ¿ maybe the Z axis isnt gaining the necessary height ? , Its strange because that motors arent changed at all and are maintaining my P3Steel stock config on the steps.

Im not at the computer right now, but last profile settings on S3D I memeber to have are :

Nozzle : 4
    Extrusion width: auto 0.48
    Extrusion Multiplier: 0,90

Retraction dist : 1,8 mm
    Retraction speed : 10 mm/s

Layer height : 1,800 mm
    First layer height : 90%

Print speed : 60 mm/s

- Here are some of the failed prints pics attached , on the calibration cubes like I said the most sensitive problem I saw its the tall sides and the rail of the nozzel is making when I suppose it pushed the excess bumps on the sides.

* Please any Ideas and solutions are welcome because Im really mad right now and toasted touching things that dont come to any solution. Maybe Today Ill try to reupload all marlin only touching the steps, endstops, and heater again to type 5 without touching anything else... because dont make sense to me. Also Have to tell I have attached the optional Layer Fan on my extruder carriage directly to the nozzle.

Thank you so much.

Attached Files:

#4 pliskin2009, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  5. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

To OP, very odd result. Perhaps the filament to blame or a nozzle clog of some sort. Perhaps bits on the bed before you start (give it a good clean). Things like this should show up on the first layer, so would be good to see layer 1 instead of layer 3. Is that a raft? How big? Why? Would recommend double checking E-Step calibration, you shouldn't need to lower extrusion percentage if you have E-steps right for the filament.

@pliskin2009, a 1.8mm or 180microns layer height? Nozzle is 4 or 0.4? You don't mention the material your using or the nozzle temperature. If you have E-steps right, you shouldn't need to lower extrusion multiplier. Did you save your factory file from the perfect 2cm cube? If so, retry that, could well be down to different slicer settings. If you suspect z movement issue, get a ruler, move Z+10 and check that's really how much it moved.

pliskin2009 likes this.
  6. pliskin2009

pliskin2009 Member

Thank you Spoon , nice things to check with your help , I will try to answer you the best I can, Im a little rookie on calibrating all this things since the factory stock printer cause I havent to do anyelse than tweak de S3D profile a level the bed.

* a 1.8mm or 180microns layer height? -> Layer height its 0,1800 so I suppose thats microns , S3D advertise when you set abnormal layer height .

* Nozzle is like you said the most standar one that comes with tke I Prusa Kit from this site, 0,4mm

* Material its PLA white 1,75mm from BQ trademark from Spain.

* The sadness thing is that I havent the Profile for the forst 2cm cube I have printed, it doesnt presented any of this fault, dont remember what I have done after that, I was trying to set up correctly the endstops and min / max dimensions from Marlin to the board , and Tried to print an smaller 1cm cube and something go wrong after that because that are the results , and for the moment I wasnt capable to achieve a good result, I have tweaked too much the S3D to remember how to revert to the original config.

* About the Z axis, its more a thought than a fact , in my mind seems like is the nozzle always be in touch with the previous layer after the 2 first layers maybe , and thats causing that rail effect on the piece and puching away to external sides the blasted piece. I will check as you point with a rule to move from 10mm to 10mm and calibrate the steps , but its odd because the engine motor and the steps are the originals untouched from the stock Prusa print before the upgrade Titan kit assembled.

Here its also a link to a video of one of these prints , maybe you can watch it and take more ideas ( Sorry for the bad Zoom, maybe later after work I can record a new one from layer zero) :

Thank you so much for your Help!

#6 pliskin2009, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  7. Spoon Unit

Yeh. That does look like massive over-extrusion (too many e-steps) or zero/not enough z-motion (check z motion with ruler).
    Also, with a 0.4 nozzle, try first with 0.3mm layers (300 microns) as it will be more forgiving. Definitely would help to see a video of the first layer being put down.

pliskin2009 likes this.
  8. pliskin2009

pliskin2009 Member

Hello there, sorry for the late answer, I will check it asap when I can again, because Ive tried to tense a little more the X belt with the Tensor X-idle from my P3Steel as a check-response of an E3D-supporter observation after he saw the video, they detected maybe the tension wasnt good enough, so Ive recalibrated again all the bed points and tried to give a bit more tension to the belt.... and Ive broken half apart the printed part so.... Im a little off right know until I replace the part for the printer X carriage to go online again.

Offopic of my extrusion problem , and hoping that when I replace these part my prints go fine or not... you know any not too expensive retailer where I can find maybe a full good metal parts replacements for my P3Steel ... I Think its not a really good idea to have a printed part that supports 2 screws , a rod and tight tension during a year that can break so easily hehe. My bad in there maybe I was so rude...

PD: @Spoon Unit Before breaking this X-idle Right part ( the one holds the belt wheel ) , Ive checked the Z-Motion with a Ruler , it was perfect as its configured with an Z-Steps of 800 , I suppose that is the standard for DRV8825 1/32 17nema Motor 1.8 , and also the 4/4 Extrusion tests for 100mm at Simplify Machine Control E-Speed 1,0mm Extrusion rate 100% , so for that Im hoping after replace and tense well X Belt and the bed again it prints good again , or Im going out of Ideas of what can be done about that exceed of extrusion, maybe the Vref of the Drv that I havent touched at all or another type of problem with the hotend, I dont know.

All the times I change something in Marlin and reupload im doing an M502 ( Overwrite default config ) and M500 (save in EEProm ?) because if I dont do this, when I read with M501 it prints the old EEPROM config. This way reloads fine. Another Idea that I have its that maybe the first time ive printed the 2cm cube I havent do this EEPROM steps with the new firmware... maybe the reason was that the E-steps of the old extruder motor ( an MK9 nema 17... I thinK 1.8 TYPE) are better than mines for the actual Titan... thats not make sense... Lower steps would result in bad print result.

Thanks!

#8 pliskin2009, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  9. pliskin2009

pliskin2009 Member

Hello there,

Im writing to tell you that my problem its solved right now, after all the fixes and replace the X-odler from my printer , it was over extruding again so I have rolledback my Marlin firmware to my previous version, the 1.1 from the printer manufacter in stock and only altered the needed for the temperature and the E-Steps , worked like a charm seems , that something was really odd or incompatible with the last firmware and my custom config of the configuration.h .

Like Ive suspected earlier, the first 2cm cube printed perfect because at the first time uploading new firmware the EEPROM wasnt updated with the new config , at that moment I havent an idea of how to overwrite it with commands. Seems like after Ive overwrited the EPPROM, the Z-axis wasnt leveling right ( really strange, but was the most noticeable) ,after rolling back the Z level was the proper and the nozzle wasnt pushing any previous layer.

One of the things on this old firmware that was noticeable for me is that he defines the board as RAMPS_1_3 and not 1_4 like its meant to be.

Hope that my experience can help anyone else experiencing strange over extrusion problems with the update form a prusa.

Thank you all , and in special @Spoon Unit for your help.

Spoon Unit likes this.
  10. Spoon Unit

Great to hear you got it all sorted in the end.