Offset when replacing SD4 hotend with E3d

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by AJG, Jan 16, 2017.

1. AJG

AJG Member

Hello,
    I am in the midst of replacing my Solidoodle 4 hot end with the E3D V6. I printed the two new holder pieces from the Thingverse site and they are a little tight, so I am creating my own models in Openscad. Measuring the original aluminium piece that the original hot end fits in, I see it is a 12 mm diameter hole the back edge of which is 2mm from the back of the aluminium (stepper face side). The E3dV6 has a 16 mm diameter with a 12 mm 'waist' section. Therefore, the centre of the E3d must be moved away from the face of the extruder stepper by 2mm to compensate for increased radius and still have 2mm of material on the stepper face edge. This will skew the filament path by 2mm. The only way I see to make it right is to move the entire filament path another 2mm away from the face of the stepper. Another option is to grind 2mm off the top of the E3D that will face the stepper which I would rather not do.

So : What is the experience of others who have made this mod? Is it important to exactly line up the filament path? Are there other ways of fitting the E3D to the SD4?

Thanks,

AJG

2. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Why not move the hobbed hub outward by 2mm?

3. AJG

AJG Member

Yes, I could do that. But the idler bearing might also need to be moved.
    I will press on with this and try your suggestion.
    Thanks,
    AJG