Omnibus List of Configuration Changes I needed

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by John Meacham, Jan 10, 2020.

1. John Meacham

John Meacham Well-Known Member

I just want to catalog the changes I needed to make to the configuration files to fix various issues in one spot in the hopes it might be helpful to others. not everything may be relevant to your machine, so don't copy them without understanding them. but hopefully it helps some.

Issue: M106 commands don't affect fan of current tool and need explicit P parameters to work
    Fix: add F parameters to tool declarations to associate fans with the tools

-M563 P0 S"T0" D0 H1 ; Define tool 0
    +M563 P0 S"T0" D0 H1 F2 ; Define tool 0

Issue: Tool fan won't do anything other than 100% or 0%,
    Fix: Adjust PWM speed

-M106 P2 S0 ; T0 PCF
    +M106 P2 S0 F25000 ; T0 PCF

Bug: This only works for tool 0, the duex does not have configurable PWM frequencies, I am still looking for a workaroud for tools 1-3.

Issue: Tools don't engage due to Y axis length being different.
    Fix: adjust Y dimensions so your tool engages as y243
    Note: this number is specific to my machine, adjust yours based on how far you have to jog y during commisioning to get reliable tool joining

-M208 X-35:328.5 Y-49:243 Z0:300 C0:500 S0 ; Set axis maxima & minima
    +M208 X-35:328.5 Y-50:245 Z0:300 C0:500 S0 ; Set axis maxima & minima

Issue: Bed Compensation causes a hard crash if you have a tool docked
    Fix: create a 'deployprobe.g' file in your sys/ directior that just has T-1 in it. this means that in order to deploy the z probe you have to drop off your tool.

Issue: retraction is too small for bowden tubes this long
    Fix: add command to set retraction parameters, likely you want this to be tool specific
    (these numbers are bogus, if someone has better values for the V6 tools, please post them)
    +M207 S6.0 F8000 T1000 Z0.15

Issue: Tool Z offsets are not perfect even after calibration
    Fix: make a square 1mm thick, then drop off the tool and use G30 S-1 to probe the actual height of the square you printed. adjust tool based on this. There is gcode floating around to do this automatically.

Issue: lots of warnings about z home and probe offsets
    Fix: treat the z probe as a z probe rather than an endstop with g30 in the homez.g script. (experimental, it no longer does the slow z and i'm not sure how that affects accuracy so this may be a bad idea)

Issue: you are using a glass screen protector from a surface pro 4 over your glass plate to protect it from PETG and it is slightly undersized.
    Fix: Adjust bed mesh leveling to only cover the protected part of the plate, it is obvious from viewing the height map whether you need this.
    -M557 X10:290 Y20:180 S40 ; Define mesh grid
    +M557 X10:283 Y20:180 S39

2. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

Brilliant!

3. John Meacham

John Meacham Well-Known Member

Not entirely. so while this works great for bed compensation, when I click home Z or home All it will still crash the head. It appears to completely ignore the T-1's I place in the scripts when clicking the buttons or issuing a G28. It is particularly annoying because A lot of gcode generators like to put G28's in their output and that causes a hard crash as well.

Is there any way to keep it from ignoring the T-1s in those scripts? I can understand that if things were never homed it wouldn't be able to put the tool away so i wouldn't expect it to be able to do much in that case, but when everything is homed and it knows it is carrying a tool, G28 will still cause a hard crash or just drop the tool midair.

4. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

Tool change files are not run when axes are flagged as not homed. For Z homing I suggest you use the conditional GCode facility in RRF 3.01. You can test whether a tool is loaded, and whether axes have been homed, and decide what to do based on those.