SOLVED One Z-Axis stepper just stutters

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by PeterStuttgart, Jul 26, 2016.

1. PeterStuttgart

Hello everybody,

I just almost finished my BigBox Pro and I'm at the step of testing the Z-Axis motion. When trying to move the Z-Axis via the front panel it results in a bad noise. So I loosened the coupling screws to check if I had some kind of jammed lead screws but those are easy to move. Then I loosend the coupling to the stepper shaft itself and even then one of the steppers just stutters instead of turns. Is the stepper broken? Or has anyone any other idea that I could check?

Cheers,
    Peter

2. Paul Begley

Paul Begley Well-Known Member

Have you got the Y cable? Check the crimped end on the rumba side, black connector. Mine was badly terminated. Ended up having to strip the wire back and solder.
    Do you have any spare motors? did you get the Titan upgrade with replacement motors? If so, you can test using them.
    Else if no spare motors, swap the cable round, trying the other motors on he other connector, i.e process of elimination.

3. Jasons_BigBox

Jasons_BigBox Well-Known Member

Sounds similar to the issue I had.

I had two problems, one was the motor end of the cable wasn't seated properly. I also had misaligned the brass nut and coupling on the z-screw. That made loads of horrific noise. (I'd also not reset the steps/mm correctly at one point)

I disconnected the screws, supported the bed and checked the rotation of both motors. I blu tacked an allen key to each to compare how much they turned. Swap the motor connections over to check.

I found it very easy to push the motor and screws out of alignment when tightening them up.

Good luck

Jason

4. PeterStuttgart

Thanks for the replys. Yes, I have a Y cable. I'll check the cable tonight ...

5. PeterStuttgart

Yep, it was the Y cable. I did the same thing as you, Paul. Thanks for the hint! Z-Axis is now moving smoothly! ... Now for the extruder ... it's not moving at all :D ...

Paul Begley likes this.
  6. Paul Begley

Paul Begley Well-Known Member

Pleased you've got it working and happy that I've managed to help somebody :)

7. TimV

TimV Well-Known Member

:)
    Is your hotend 40°? Otherwise the Cold end extrusion protection blocks the movement.

8. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

40° starts the hotend cooling fan, extrusion is possible starting at 170° but that may still be too low to extrude some materials...

9. PeterStuttgart

Thanks guys, I figured it had something to do with the temperature. As soon as I got the rest commissioned, I'll try ... I'm getting close to my first print!

10. PeterStuttgart

Everything is solved! ... Can I set the thread to "solved" or is that something the admin has to do?