Onshape model for laser cutting

Discussion in 'Motion System' started by Cam_Motion, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Cam_Motion

Cam_Motion Active Member

I want to make my own printer using the open source documents from github. I will probably be using laser cut aluminium rather than CNC cut. Does anyone know what aluminium grade E3D are using?
    I have made a start making a cad model for the printer from the supplied documents using Onshape. Most of it is straightforward, the Z Axis bracket is only supplied as a step file so I have used that to create a sheet metal part to get the DXF for laser cutting.

[​IMG]

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2...7cf1d3c5ac23e2a8fa/e/02d485bbf7535ae7efb359fd

#1 Cam_Motion, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  2. Greg_The_Maker

Greg_The_Maker Administrator
    Staff Member

6061, we did the very early prototypes using water-jet cut aluminium sheet, the bottom plate and bent bed bracket still are water-jet cut. I'll be interested to see how the top plate looks being laser cut.

3. Cam_Motion

Cam_Motion Active Member

Thanks. The company that I use has a laser with a maximum of 6mm in aluminium (I think it's an 8kw laser?) From your comments do you forsee any problems with the top plate?

4. Greg_The_Maker

Staff Member

Nope, just remember to cut any holes which are to be threaded smaller than they need to be.

5. Cam_Motion

Cam_Motion Active Member

I have just rewatched the video with Thomas Sanladerer and Sanjay with an earlier iteration where the base doesn't have the triangular cut outs. I presume you do this to save weight during shipping. I was thinking of not having these cut outs mainly so that it would be easier to have a heated chamber for printing. Are there any other downsides besides weight?

6. Greg_The_Maker

Staff Member

Not that I can think of.

I cut out an acrylic base panel that sits under the base plate and covers the cut-outs.

Attached Files: