Onshape model for laser cutting

Discussion in 'Motion System' started by Cam_Motion, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Cam_Motion

Cam_Motion Active Member

I want to make my own printer using the open source documents from github. I will probably be using laser cut aluminium rather than CNC cut. Does anyone know what aluminium grade E3D are using?
    I have made a start making a cad model for the printer from the supplied documents using Onshape. Most of it is straightforward, the Z Axis bracket is only supplied as a step file so I have used that to create a sheet metal part to get the DXF for laser cutting.

[​IMG]

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2...7cf1d3c5ac23e2a8fa/e/02d485bbf7535ae7efb359fd

#1 Cam_Motion, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  2. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

6061, we did the very early prototypes using water-jet cut aluminium sheet, the bottom plate and bent bed bracket still are water-jet cut. I'll be interested to see how the top plate looks being laser cut.

3. Cam_Motion

Cam_Motion Active Member

Thanks. The company that I use has a laser with a maximum of 6mm in aluminium (I think it's an 8kw laser?) From your comments do you forsee any problems with the top plate?

4. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

Nope, just remember to cut any holes which are to be threaded smaller than they need to be.

5. Cam_Motion

Cam_Motion Active Member

I have just rewatched the video with Thomas Sanladerer and Sanjay with an earlier iteration where the base doesn't have the triangular cut outs. I presume you do this to save weight during shipping. I was thinking of not having these cut outs mainly so that it would be easier to have a heated chamber for printing. Are there any other downsides besides weight?

6. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

Not that I can think of.

I cut out an acrylic base panel that sits under the base plate and covers the cut-outs.

Attached Files: