Optimal layer height for Volcano Nozzles?

Discussion in 'General' started by Felixp, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Felixp

Felixp Member

I'm considering getting a Volcano nozzle in the future, possibly as part of a dual extruder setup. I was wondering about layer height with one of these nozzles. Volcano nozzles can provide greater layer bonding because the plastic retains more heat when it leaves the nozzle, allowing for stronger bonds.

What layer height with a Volcano nozzle provides the strongest inter-layer bonding?

Conversely, how high of a layer height can a Volcano nozzle print, before the inter-layer bonding is only as strong as a normal .4 mm nozzle?

2. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

You generally want to keep WoH (width over height" less than 1.2. 1.5-2.0 is idea.

You'll run into plastic melting rate limitations before you run into print speed limitations, so there's no reason to dial up big thicknesses.

3. Felixp

Felixp Member

I'm going to ask this to see if I have the right idea, or if I'm missing something. Is the following statement accurate? :

A printed object made with a .4 mm nozzle at .2 mm layer height has approximately equal layer bonding to the same object printed with a .8 mm nozzle at .4 mm layer height.