"Orbiter" - 140g - Planetary Direct Drive Extruder

Discussion in 'Tool heads & ToolChanger' started by Joe Pomo, May 23, 2020.

1. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

Hi Joe! I put my remix on Thingiverse. I used your base adapter with a minor change. I didn't mention your name but I am happy to add it if you are ok with that.
    Here it is: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4643022

2. Joe Pomo

Joe Pomo Well-Known Member

Hey, looks good! I'll download it and check out how the press-fit planetary gears work for me. No need to mention my name. Thanks, though!

3. W1EBR.Gene

@Joe Pomo , what CAD technique did you use to align the Orbiter with the tool mount so that the filament was a straight shot? I am using Onshape and haven't figured out how capture where the filament intersects the top plane of the tool mount.

4. Joe Pomo

Hey, I use fusion360 which has an "align" function built in. I probably just selected the circular geometry on each part and made their center points coincident (or something along those lines).

I don't have experience with OnShape, unfortunately!

5. W1EBR.Gene

Hi @Joe Pomo and anyone else interested,

I used a newer version of the Orbiter which has the hobb gears mirrored and it has enabled a smaller tool with a shorter filament path.I will put the latest design mods on Thingiverse.

The Orbiter housing and latch were printed in Matterhacker's NylonX (nylon 12 with additives). The drive shaft/spider and spur gears were printed in eSun's PA-CF (nylon 6 with additives, I think).

Here are a couple of pictures to show the difference in size and the clearance for the stepper motor in the smaller tool.
    20201123_210809.jpg

6. W1EBR.Gene

7. Joe Pomo

8. phoenix

phoenix Active Member

That looks super neat - I was playing with your previous model and wondering about the clearance, but this looks perfect.

Please share the link with the updated extruder body?

9. W1EBR.Gene

Hello! I will try to put the files out as soon as I can.

They are still a work in progress because I have discovered a couple of things that I think should be improved to make it more tolerant of a few issues that I think are common for FFF printing.

Also I have to find the URL for the heat set threads that I used to hold the latch closed.

I will include an STL for a bearing pressing tool I used with a bench vice to set one of the drive shaft bearings.

If my text in the Thingiverse post is too brief to be understood, let me know here.

10. W1EBR.Gene

@phoenix , the files are out there now. The bearing press is to put the outermost drive shaft bearing into the housing.

11. phoenix

phoenix Active Member

Thank you for sharing, especially also the step files! I just sent two versions for SLS printing: using your version straight for 1.75mm and have made a modification to use 2.85mm filament (of which I have a large stack still around): looking forward to the result! I've been using your previous version for a few hours now in 2.85mm and it works beautifully!

12. W1EBR.Gene

I am glad it working well!

I didn't design the extruder, all I did was redesign a mount @Joe Pomo designed, add @Greg Holloway 's tool adapter to the housing and adapt the spider to not require bearings.

13. Jean VISCONTE

Jean VISCONTE Member

Just bought one to AliExpress.

Received a part set that looks SLS printed, fairly good quality. I only doubt durability, because a steel gear on the motor is dealing with 3D printed gears... hum... I'll look for metal ones for the future, don't want gears to be consumable....

Put it on test on an experimental machine which is a Fabtotum rebuilt entirely around DUET2 WIFI and E3D extruders, kept cinematic only.

Low weight is interesting in this case because Fabtotum coreXY cinematic allow fast movements then the head's mass is not anymore small in front of Y carriage, especially when it holds a NEMA17 as it is in the BigBox. Fabtotum cinematic inspired E3D tool changer if I am correct.

I will let you updated on further tests.

Joe Pomo likes this.
  14. phoenix

phoenix Active Member

And, here are the files for anybody interested: have now more than 100h of printing on two separate tools and it works just great! Finally happy to have a 3mm capable print-head that also allows for a part cooler :)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4753362

15. John Pickens

John Pickens Member

PXL_20210617_021037506.jpg PXL_20210617_015605274.jpg Here is my ADD mount for the Orbiter. It uses the stock E3D hotend components, and has an ADD teflon tube length of 55mm. All up weight is 303g.

I turned the Orbiter 90 degrees, which seems more compact on the printer.
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4888105

Joe Pomo likes this.