Original Supplied Heater with BigBox

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Spoon Unit, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

It's time to order a new heater to replace the one which has its wires snapped off.

The bill of materials states:
    24v Heater Cartridge with 1700mm leads.

It seems this is not an item for sale on their page as a replacement part. There are only two 24v heaters, one which is the right color, one which isn't. So I'm assuming it's the 40W variety. The one sold as a replacement has a 1000mm cable (http://e3d-online.com/Heater-Cartridge-24v-40w?search=24v heater). This then begs the question about what sort of cable I'll need to extend that in order to carry the appropriate voltage. I can probably just connect the existing heater cable (which is already in the right place, but then how best to make that connection?

Just to confuse matters, the e3d wiki for the v6 (http://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/E3D-v6_Documentation) states:

1 x 12v or 24v 25W Heater Cartridge

This again makes me want to double check whether this is really a 40W heater originally supplied.

All help welcomed.

2. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

When you put in your order ask for a longer bigbox heater cartridge. They are 30w.

If you want to use 40w, cut the wires at the hotend and solder a new 40w cartridge in. I have done this to some of our print farm and test machines.

Spoon Unit likes this.
  3. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Thanks. This'll be best done over the phone then. I'll order a replacement rather than take the soldering option. I presume that will heat it up more quickly though.

4. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

The 40w will heat it up quicker yes. Just pop a note onto your order, the packing chaps wil pick it up and send the correct cartridge.