PanelDue 7i case for TC

Discussion in 'Motion System' started by orcinus, Aug 12, 2019.

1. orcinus

orcinus Well-Known Member

UPDATE: download here - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3817761

Decided to try my hand at designing a case for a PanelDue 7i that would fit the toolchanger.
    Here’s what i’ve come up with so far:

[​IMG]

It’s made up of three parts - the bottom, the top, and the bezel - to make printing without supports easier, and so that i don’t have to reprint everything if i need to tweak things.

There’s paperclip holes for the reset and erase buttons, a beeper grille, microSD card slot access with a (hopefully) finger friendly indent, and a slim cable opening on the right. The plan is to route the cable to the side, and then along the right panel, will see how tidy that is.

The bottom doesn’t have any clips or fancy attachments, it just “hugs” the bottom plate as if on a rail - like this:

[​IMG]

For permanent fixing double-sided sticky tape should work just fine (and allows easy removal as well).

I’m not posting the files yet, as i don’t have a PanelDue on hand yet - this is all based on a PanelDue 7i model i’ve downloaded.

#1 orcinus, Aug 12, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    mhe, Brian Boatright, Amr and 2 others like this.
  2. Amr

Amr Well-Known Member

vert Clean Design. I have been thinking of ways to do this all night, Thanks for the inspiration. I will use your concept but adapt for the 5" display

orcinus likes this.
  3. orcinus

I’ll publish the STEP files soonish if that helps.

My paneldue arrived, and i’ve found a few interference issues (sharp PCB corners mostly, i’ve designed it as a very tight fit in a few places). Also, somehow, the screw/mounting bosses on the top case part somehow ended up misaligned with the ones on the bezel and the paneldue itself. I’ve got no idea how that happened - they’re directly referencing the paneldue holes and are even used to mate the parts into an assembly (i do that precisely to check for any alignment issues). So obviously that needs fixing first.

4. orcinus

What the hell...

Just checked the assembly file and the bosses (and holes) are spot on.
    Yet in the print they're misaligned o_O

5. Amr

Amr Well-Known Member

are you using the model version for the panel you received, duet has I think 4 version 1.0, 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0

6. orcinus

No, no, the Paneldue fits the upper bezel and its holes just fine.
    But neither the bezel nor the Paneldue fit the mid-section of the case.

The funny part is, i've printed the bezel on a Form2 (SLA) and the mid-section on a BigBox.
    I'd expect the part from the Form2 to not fit correctly (distortion is common on large, thin parts like the bezel), not the FDM part.

But it seems like the FDM-printed part warped, or rather, skewed.

Edit: i've just noticed my X stepper bracket on the BigBox got bent/distorted by the heat of the stepper... that would explain a lot, i guess :/

mhe and Amr like this.
  7. orcinus

I’ve posted the case on Thingiverse:
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3817761

Seems to fit nicely, i’m just reprinting one last version of the bezel (printing them in leftover Formlabs white resin, and it’s being fussy, probably because of the white pigment sludge at the bottom - last print ripped off supports).

I’ve included the STEP file as well for the whole assembly, if you want to make modifications.

mhe, jfb and Amr like this.
  8. blarbles

blarbles Well-Known Member

Thank you!

9. mhe

mhe Well-Known Member

Thank you so much, I am just finishing my machine and adding a touchscreen and a Pi for cam surveillance will be next!

10. mhe

mhe Well-Known Member

I haven't loaded the STEP file yet into Fusion and don't have the time until later next week, but do you think it might be possible to fit a Pi into that same case somehow or would it need some major changes?

11. orcinus

There's so much empty space underneath the paneldue inside (there was no way around it - if you wanted to have a comfy 30 degree angle) that you could probably fit two raspis in a pinch.

You can just use double-sided sticky tape or foam to fix it to the bottom plate, should work just fine.

12. mhe

mhe Well-Known Member

Fantastic, then I will make it house the Pi for MotionEyeOS which works nicely for the Duet interface. Thanks!

Spoon Unit likes this.