COMPLETE PanelDue Control Panel with PANIC Button

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Ephemeris, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

I'm always trying to make the BigBox that much more professional looking so I decided to redo the control panel setup. What follows is specific to the PanelDue display adapter connected to the small 4.3" touchscreen

The two big pieces below completely replace the stock five piece laser cut touchscreen housing. You will have to thread a few of the holes with an M3 tap or try to drive an M3 bolt directly into the printed holes. These parts are pretty big. Printing in nGen at 90 mm/s they each took about 5 hours.

IMG_1839.JPG

One cool thing about the Duet is its support for the M581 command. This lets you wire a switch to an unused end-stop input on the Duet WiFi and assign a gcode file to be executed if the button is pressed. I found this nice looking and stiff normally open momentary push button switch

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018V80F0C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are various options for what the panic button does. This is explained on the Duet website:

https://duet3d.com/wiki/Connecting_an_Emergency_Stop_button

I went with the option of a completely user defined response to the button press by adding this to my sys/config.g file:

Code:
    ; *** Panic Button
    M581 Z:S1 T2 C0                          ; Configure external trigger
                                             ; When Z stop switch closes, execute sys/trigger2.g
                                             ; Trigger on rising edge (S1, default), falling edge (S0), ignore input (S-1)
                                             ; C0 = trigger at any time (default) C1 = only when printing a file from SD

Then I created a new file called trigger2.g in the sys directory.

So I installed the touchscreen and switch in my new control panel housing, and wired the switch to the unused Z endstop connection on the Duet WiFi. I removed the old control panel box from the BigBox frame and bolted my new pieces into place. The new faceplate mounts with four M3x30 socket cap screws.

Here's how it looks
    IMG_1843.JPG

As always I've included the stl files for your enjoyment!

UPDATE: My link for that switch was to an insanely overpriced seller on amazon.ca that we had been joking about in ShoutBox. I've corrected the link to the reasonably priced listing on amazon.com

Attached Files:

#1 Ephemeris, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  2. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

Nice mod! One point though: if you want the button to be a fast-acting emergency stop, you should configure it to use the predefined trigger 0. Unlike other triggers, trigger 0 gets acted on instantly, whereas other triggers may have to wait for other events, for example other trigger actions to complete.

3. Ephemeris

I considered that but two things stopped me. The need to recycle power afterwards, and being unclear on what M112 does to the fans

4. Ephemeris

I decided the clearancing between the panic button and the display was bit tight so I widened the case slightly. This also made the clearance of the screws in the upper support that the touchscreen case covers much cleaner. I've attached the updated file to the original post.

5. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Ephemeris, can you share step files or something similar of this? I want to use your idea for a 7-inch screen housing instead of the laser cut parts. I did order the 4,3-inch screen but I got a 7-inch instead, bummer :)

6. Ephemeris

Certainly :) I can generate a step file when I'm on that computer tonight. If you can give me detailed dimensions (bolt pattern, overall dimensions and required standoff height I might have time to knock that out for you as well

7. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Thankyou very much! Seems that space is a little bit of concern with the huge "tv-screen" I got but it is doable. Been playing around with the top part of this enclosure http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:656884 but I don't understand scad and I'd sort of like to add your bottom half to it. I use fusion 360 (the only cad program that I seem to understand right now). Will look for a hole pattern for the large screen now

8. Ephemeris

Basically I would just need to

1) Resize the opening in the upper faceplate part for the bigger LCD
    2) Move the LCD mounting holes to the new mounting pattern
    3) Adjust the LCD mounting bosses for the correct standoff height so the screen is snug against the bezel
    4) Extend the faceplate so the changes above fit.
    5) Reposition the PANIC button
    6) Reposition the mounting holes for the M3 screws that hold the faceplate to the adapter
    7) Extend the flange on the lower part (adapter) to cover the increased footprint of the faceplate

The key is accurate dimensions!

9. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Found a step file of a 2.0 paneldue with a 7-inch screen :) (Credit; Anthony Hams, Onshape)

Attached Files:

10. Ephemeris

I did a rough version of the top piece that the display bolts to. I'll take a look at it again tomorrow to see if I can spot any obvious errors. After that I suggest I upload just the upper part and you verify that it fits. If it does I'll make the changes for the matching lower part.

11. Ephemeris

Björn, if that step file is accurate, I can add a slot so you can access the SD card reader on the back of the display. Do you want that? Is the placement of the slot in the step file accurate when you compare it to your display?

12. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

It seems to be accurate, so yes, please :)

13. Ephemeris

Björn, see if the attached files work for you. If it's good, I can do the lower portion to mate with it pretty quickly.

Attached Files:

14. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Seems good! Thanks!

15. Ephemeris

Okay. Do you want me and go ahead with the matching lower? That will require a small height adjustment from my current geometry. The 7" panel is so wide the printed pieces will hit the gussets in the laser cut front panels on the BigBox. I think a 2 mm increase should handle it. Then I just have to increase the size of the mounting flange to match the upper bezel.

16. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Would be nice, but I just want to tell that I'm cooking something up in fusion 360 as well before you put any more work into this. What I'm struggling with at the moment is the back panel integration.. lol

17. Ephemeris

Here's the matching adapter piece to mount the faceplate/display assembly. I raised it 3 mm so I believe it will clear the front frame panel gussets and the Z-platform at z=300.

Attached Files:

18. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Great! Big thanks! I'll remix this with some ideas from my front piece (added usb port and ways to use the erase/reset buttons on the paneldue if needed)

19. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

From the PanelDue, how do you stop the motion short of killing power if you lack a panic button? I was running into this dilemma last night until I switch to the web interface. Just got my duet working last night.