PEI for build plate

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by richgain, Apr 16, 2016.

1. richgain

richgain Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried PEI on their BigBox build plate yet?
    I want to know if it is compatible with the Z-height sensor. Also whether this is a good choice for ColorFabb-XT which I am having trouble sticking to plain glass.

2. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Hah I've bought some but not fitted it yet. Just asked on G+ which way up is best as the reprap wiki says it can be used either way.

I think there is a post from the designer of the sensor somewhere saying it is ok but you will have to recalibrate as the sensor triggers at a different height.

3. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

Same, I have PEI and a sheet of adhesive but haven't used it yet. I did print a replacement carriage in XT and used glue stick to get it to adhere to the glass.

4. richgain

5. Dr Jeep

Ooooh nice catch, that'd be kinda hard to do once it is installed wouldn't it.

6. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

It's highly universal stuff that black paint @Alex9779

In the same blog it's used to prevent reflections from the Aluminium.

Now it's used to CREATE reflections from the underside of the PEI.

7. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I read it a bit different.
    I think the black matt paint shall reduce the IR reflected from under the surface if the build plate is some kind of transparent.
    On the aluminium it shall reduece the reflection because aluminium reflects too much.

But if you need a real black paint go for Vantablack. As long as you are not an artist and use it for art you should be fine. Rights to use it in arts have been sold exclusively to one artist..

8. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

To clarify is shall always reduce.
    If you have a transparent build plate the unwanted reflections from the base plate, in case of the aluminium the "brightness" of the relfected IR radiation...

9. Dr Jeep

It's a sad world we live in where that is even remotely possible :(

10. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

I printed XT onto hairspray directly on the bed with zero issues. So far this is the most realiable and simplest to clean solution I've seen. PLA, PETG, XT, all have stuck well. I printed XT at 85 bed, 235 hotend, same as I used for PETG.

richgain likes this.
  11. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

I'm still unsure what to do with my PEI sheet, it already has adhesive on one side so painting the underside of the PEI isn't an option. If anyone does get some PEI installed, please report back on your experiences. It's unfortunate it's so expensive in the UK which makes experimenting with it somewhat prohibitive.

12. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Sarah - On the RepRap forums dc24 (the maker of the IR sensor) states:

"works well with PEI if you prepare the PEI in accordance with the instructions I provide, i.e. spray the underside with matt black stove/barbecue paint, cure the paint in an oven (because that's what you have to do with heat-resistant paints), and only then stick it to the bed plate with heat-resistant adhesive sheet"

Can you not paint it and then use an adhesive sheet?

13. Sarah Nicholson

Yep, I read that blog post a while ago, and I was thinking of painting the top side of the glass and then sticking the PEI to it as that might be easier. Your suggestion may work, but I'm a bit concerned about twice the potential for bubbles and lifting if I have two layers of adhesive. I haven't used PEI before so I'm really not sure what to expect from it.

14. richgain

Hi Sarah
    I'm in the same position as you. I have the PEI sheet with pre-fitted adhesive sheet. I have ordered a 300 x 200 x 2.5 mm aluminium sheet from http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111379898202 which I am planning to paint black before sticking the PEI to it.
    I may experiment with placing this on top of the glass (for flatness) or directly onto the heatbed PCB (for better heat transfer).
    I should be left with a 300 x 100 mm offcut of PEI sheet which I plan to use on the Mendel90.

Sarah Nicholson likes this.
  15. Sarah Nicholson

Interesting idea, let me know how you get on with it, still waiting for my BigBox although it hopefully won't be too long now.

16. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

I would suggest you avoid placing directly on the heater as the aluminium sheet is not thick enough and will warp, making levelling a problem. Those with K8200 experience will back this up. At twice this thickness you may succeed.

17. Kick2box

Kick2box Well-Known Member

It's not worth trying with this one, just my opinion. I already posted somewhere else this link
    http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?335,501747
    gonzohs is selling milled plates also with PEI coating and heater, everything complete. Don't waste money for cut plates, they never are flat.