IDEAS PEI with BigBox

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Sarah Nicholson, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

I haven't received my BigBox yet, but I've purchased a PEI sheet to install on the glass as I'd really like to get away from the hassle and mess of putting PVA on the bed. I'm curious if anyone who has already received their BigBox has tried using PEI. Does the IR leveling sensor perform acceptably with it?

I've been reading David Crocker's blog (the inventor of the sensor), he recommends when using PEI to spray the backside of the PEI sheet with black paint, however my PEI sheet came with adhesive tape already applied to the back. Would spraying the glass instead before sticking the PEI to it achieve the same result, or is this unnecessary with the black BigBox heatbed surface?

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Anecdotal but I see no reason why a thin pei coating on glass wouldn't work.

There is also black on the heater which would behave similar to what he mentions

3. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

Thanks Mike, I think it should work with the black BigBox heated bed, from the blog posts it seems most problems occur when PEI and glass is used over a RepRap MK3-style shiny aluminium heatbed.

I guess I'll just try it and see when my BB gets here. Given how insanely expensive PEI seems to be in the UK I'd rather not irreversibly stick it to the glass if someone has already found there are problems with it.