IDEAS Pi UPS upgrade v2

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by TimV, Jul 8, 2016.

1. TimV

TimV Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

While patiently waiting on my BB (hopefully getting shipment notice in the next days), I have been looking for a solution to get my Octopi connected to the 24v supply. The reason : I had one, so I didn't order a OctoPi with the BB. So, I don't have a DC-DC board.

Targets of this upgrade : (priority order)
    • Having battery pack for a graceful shutdown of the OctoPi
    • Protect RPI from a reset (a quick RUMBA power cycle (full printer) seems sometimes needed)
    • No DC-DC board to purchase
    • Remote shutdown possibility of the complete printer
    Looking at Sarah solution, which I very much liked, it seemed to tick some boxes, but not all.
    Have a look here.
    https://forum.e3d-online.com/index.php?threads/pi-ups-upgrade.1548/
    And, they seem to be all sold out. (Found some, but 15€ more expensive then SRP).

Reason may be : There is a new version in pre-order now, which may tick some more boxes :
    http://www.pimodulescart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=29
    http://www.rpiblog.com/2016/06/ups-pico-hv30a-uninterruptible-power.html

I'm just wondering if the "Plus" model would do the trick. Looking for some electronics experts to confirm me, as I'm not an expert on that level.

And to tick the last box, any recommendations as to what I might need to make a relay box which is capable of shutting the Main power of the printer itself? Are is there a VCC control on the power supply. (I cannot find it in the doc).

Greetz
    Tim

#1 TimV, Jul 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    mike01hu and Alex Stevenson like this.
  2. TimV

TimV Well-Known Member

Nobody?
    Can hardly believe it...
    Anyone? Dont be shy :)

3. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

That looks pretty neat. On the other hand, I'm not in a hurry to remove the bottom of my BigBox again. Still it's a pretty interesting find and the price is negligible.

4. TimV

TimV Well-Known Member

I just ordered my 'UPS PIco HV3.0A Stack Plus with 450mAh Battery'( which also included a free Fan kit to cool it and the RPI itself).
    I'll post here again when I have received it.
    Shipment 2nd/3th week July in pre-order, but I know it may be August-ish.

5. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

I've done a UPS for the whole thing as my priority was to keep the printer printing through short power cuts and then to shut down with adequate extruder cooling gracefully if the battery goes flat. Less worried about SD corruption as I'll just pop out the SD card and repair the FS in my linux laptop if that happens.

6. TimV

TimV Well-Known Member

Fully understand that, but the price of 'broken' prints/year vs the cost of a decent UPS makes it economically nutz to do so. At least for my area. (Less then 1 cut/year)
    But I have seen other parts of the world where power cuts are about every day, good luck with your prints without a decent UPS/backup. (IRL example - Nigeria - My microdatacenter onsite, daily power cuts, as the guard pushed a button every evening before leaving - he shut down the diesel group... go figure)
    Anyway, I want a graceful shutdown as I do not have the time to fix something which shouldn't be fixed at all, let alone get broken.

Don't get me wrong, understand your POV
    T.

7. Dr Jeep

I lost a print that was using about £15 of Woodfill due to a 10 second power blip, don't need many of those to pay for my £80 UPS, let alone the frustration factor.

8. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

That's my opinion too... What does it help to keep your Pi running if your printer stops? Nothing...
    If you want to have some backup for short power outages then a normal UPS can keep both up for at least some minutes, depending on the money you spent for longer.
    Only gotta think about what happens if the outage is very long, you could connect the Pi to the UPS and monitor it and then write a script to stop a print before the power fails completely, maybe write a file with the current position. You could continue a print at a given position by manipulating the gcode file. Unfortunately Marlin has no "recover failed print" feature some other firmwares have. Only problem can be bed adhesion if the bed cools down, some print get loose, or maybe if you heat up again. The process is pretty simple, I did it once, just delete all the stutff after the starting sequence taking car that this doe not crash into the printed object and up until the point the print failed. So an exact position where it stopped would be great to continue...

9. Dr Jeep

Tom De Bie and Alex9779 like this.
  10. TimV

TimV Well-Known Member

As expected, Pre-Order delayed and will be shipping 15th August. But that seems a very firm date, so.. ***crossing the fingers***