Pi Zero on the Tool Changer

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Amr, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Amr

Amr Well-Known Member

@Greg Holloway I stumbled upon your thingverse post for the PI Zero case on the gantry for the TC, I was wondering how did you wire it up the pictures you posted dose not show that, and my second question would be is there any use of octopi with the Duet boards, I mean the duets do every thing,

I am asking because I was thinking of developing a Deep learning model to compare the STL file with the current layer printed and Alert/take action if there is a problem with the print, mainly detect layer shifting and spaghetti prints if there is a way to have the duet tell the PI which layer it is printing. The Tool changer is a very good platform to develop such mod.

2. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi,

Sorry for the long delay, I have been out the office.

I cut up a micro USB cable and wired in 5v to the zero. I did notice that if you want to be connected to the duet over USB the usb input requires that 5v be supplied to the UCB Vcc, it doesn't work if you just connect the datalines. Alternatively connect it to the Duet PanelDue header and use the UART it provides. I'm useless when it comes to software so went with the USB.

OctoPrint is an amazing bit of software and with a huge amount of plugins and controls. The duet web interface is complex and cluttered in some cases and OctoPrint gives the user another option.

we would be very interested in hearing about the deep learning and it is something we envisaged being developed early on with the toolchanger. Adding a camera is simple, the software however is not!

3. Amr

Amr Well-Known Member

A small Update, I decided to go the wireless route, So I am using an esp32 with an OV2640 Camera taking pictures on command, a python script running on my PC connected to the duet over telnet and querying the board for status and added a layer change gcode to notify the script over telnet to take a picture, attaching the first time laps (though it is not the intention to make time lapses but its fun) Next step is to collect as many pictures as I can put my hands on to train the AI to identify bad prints.

PS: I still need to tweek the timing on the camera and set proper focus, but the output is promising, If any one is intrested to help with the and share some time lapses of good and bad prints that would speed up the process alot. As soon as I am done with the code will push to git hub and share here. Fingers Crossed I make it to the finish line

Greg Holloway and Spoon Unit like this.
  4. Amr

Amr Well-Known Member

Greg Holloway likes this.
  5. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

Exciting stuff!

6. Paul Arden

Paul Arden Well-Known Member

Oh, I think that’s my ESP32Cam case model, cool :)

Those cams are amazing for the price (I picked up three at about $6 each), I made the case so I could throw them on $3 tripods and move them around between printers. Life saver but haven’t timelapsed with them yet.

7. Kenneth Albanowski

Greg, be aware that the Pi Zero is underpowered for OctoPrint (I'm familiar with them in general, but also played around specifically with the Prusa MK3 'embedded Pi Zero' mounting.) Actually using the OctoPrint interface deserves a Pi 3, which isn't the same form-factor. Using it just for camera, while keeping the operational OctoPrint (if any) on another Pi might make more sense. (From that perspective Amr's ESP32 arrangement makes a lot of sense.)

If anyone is playing around with camera mounts, a micro board, and a USB connection, could you look at fitting a white LED or two in there as well? I'm jealous of René's lighted toolchanger head.