PID issues with V6 and socks

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by JesperJuul, Oct 5, 2016.

1. JesperJuul

JesperJuul Well-Known Member

Hi guys

I have an issue with the PIDs on my BigBox. After instaling the new silicone socks on the V6 and running the PID auto tune my hotend temp has become very unstable.

Like you see in the attached screendump the temperature constantly shoots over and drops under with 2 degrees.

Any suggestions?

Jesper

Attached Files:

2. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Have you rerun your PID tuning since putting the socks on? They will have a pretty significant impact on the amount of work your hotend needs to do in order to keep temps constant, definitely not a step to skip.

3. JesperJuul

JesperJuul Well-Known Member

Yep twice to make sure, but no luck :(

4. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

I've noticed mine isn't as rock stable as it used to be after placing socks (not sure why since presumably the PID autotune process should compensate)

5. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

No problem with mine after PID autotune.

6. Student337

Student337 Member

Have you tried M502 to tell your printer to use the new firmware settings you loaded on? PID settings can get stuck in the eeprom. The exact same issue just happened to me and M502 fixed it right away.

7. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

I have never run an auto tune on my BB and have never had an issue with the default firmware with or without socks, have you tried the default PID values?

8. Henry feldman

So after multiple times trying to get the PidTune plugin to work with my socks (never really tunes, really doing bang-bang control over about an 8 degree range) I decided to try tuning from the console. Um, WTF? PIDTune on left, control panel autotune on right... And yes, I stored memory on both, I was able to retrieve the settings from the plugin so they do change. I am running RC6 (@Alex9779's version). I mean I am now set, but WTF is wrong with the plugin?

[​IMG]

9. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Umm no idea what you expect Henry but that sine function on the is what it looks like if you tune your PID... I didn't use the plugin but when I did from the autotune menu it looked like this. Always...

10. Henry feldman

That sine function is +/-4, where once I did it via the BB control panel, it is +/- 1...