PLA / UHU - sticks too well!

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by R Design, Mar 7, 2016.

1. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

e3d everyday PLA was starting to warp with the BB standard 60C bed profile on pure glass

so I added UHU to the recipe

GREAT for the print but then impossible to get off: the borosilicate keeps ending up in the kitchen sink for a soak, losing a tonne of time;

lowered bed temperature to 50C +UHU but still parts sticks too well

What's the trick for using UHU so the parts stick just right but not so much that it's a fight to get them off?

2. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

For me, I kind of learned by accident that you need to let the bed cool before trying to pry it off. Most of the time, after it's cooled, the print is loose and you just take it off. Quite amazing. Maybe also consider tweaking your first layer to be a little less squashed if that's still not helping. Picture of your model on the bed would help further.

3. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

I find with glue stick you just need very little of it. Then the parts usually self release if the bed drops below 35c. My technique is to apply a few dabs of the stick to a wet paper towel and then wipe the clean glass over with that so you get a barely milky sort of smear of glue...you should hardly be able to see it. Then for the next 2 or 3 prints I just wipe over with a clean wet towel and then let the bed heat up again. After that I clean the bed properly and repeat.

Though to be honest on that glass you shouldn't need anything with pla if your first layer height speed and temps are right and the glass is absolutely clean and not contaminated with oils.

4. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Sounds like I've probably been using slightly too much UHU. Bed cooling has not been enough.

Any tips for "getting the first layer height right"?

It seems to me that's the most difficult thing in the world to control.

Because there's something subjective about Z offset calibration, and I suppose everyone ends up with a different degree of proximity to the glass. I found my first attempts at sensing the nozzle "grip" on a piece of paper were much too aggressive. But also concerned about that first layer ending up too loose....

5. Halvard Fosse

Halvard Fosse Member

I use WolfBite nano for bed adhesive when using E3D everyday pla. Sticks like %ยค""#! when bed is hot, but comes loose very easily when the bed cooles down.