Plastic leaking up the heat break

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by Raxius Bloom, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Raxius Bloom

Raxius Bloom Member

I'm having some problems with my V6 hotend leaking. After I swapped my nozzle in my Prusa i3 Mk3S, I've been having material seep up the threads of the heat break and leak on top of the heater block. This has happened several times and I usually don't notice until it starts dripping down the sides and making a huge mess.

I replaced my original hotend after a particularly bad leak a few months ago, but I'm still having the same problem with the replacement. What I assume is happening is that I'm not able to get a good seal against the heat break when the hotend is in the printer. I've replaced the nozzle with the hotend out of the print head after cleaning it up and I usually get a good seal then, but disassembling the print head every time I want to replace the nozzle is a hassle. I haven't had this problem with other printers so I'm not sure why this is different.

Does anyone know why is keeps happening?

Has anyone found a good way to make sure you have a good seal before printing?

2. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Can't say I have ever had this problem, just followed the E3D instructions on assembly and tightening at temperature and that's it.

Could you say which assembly and tightening instructions you used?

Plus is it a genuine V6 and all relevant parts heat-sink, heat-break and nozzle etc. from E3D direct or one of their authorised distributors?

Basically two possibilities, a variation in assembly technique or a part out of specification.

3. Raxius Bloom

Raxius Bloom Member

All genuine e3D parts. I used these instructions;

https://www.matterhackers.com/articles/how-to-assemble-an-e3d-v6-all-metal-hotend

The only thing I can think of is that I need to do more than a quarter turn out when screwing the nozzle in

4. Slyfin

Slyfin New Member

This happened to me as well and watched some videos that helped me resolve it.

Disassemble the heater block, nozzle and throat, screw the nozzle hand tight in all the way and then back out a quarter turn. Next screw your throat hand tight and connect everything up without filament, up the temp to 230-260 and then you'll want to tighten your nozzle, should be good to go after that.