Pocket Arcade Console

Discussion in 'Show off' started by Dr Jeep, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Filliamentium clear pla with ninja semi-flex buttons.

(Arcade experience is provided by a Pi Zero + a cute little 2.2" GPIO connected display, an I2S bus audio card running retropie, and lots of careful soldering)

2. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

All your base are belong to us!

3. Dr Jeep

heh, the translation quality of lots of the NeoGeo titiles isn't far off that "your skill is great !"

4. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Do you have a link to any more info on the build??

5. Dr Jeep

It's based on the adafruit build, but with some mods to add sound and use the GPU properly.

https://learn.adafruit.com/pigrrl-zero

I didn't use the button PCB's (they were out of stock at the time) so made my own out of verostrip.

PsyVision likes this.
  6. Dr Jeep

Oh and I didn't use their build of retropie as it's out of date. But I can dig out instructions on how to set it all up from a standard retropie image, it's pretty simple

7. Dr Jeep

For the audio, just use the adafruit I2S audio amp module they sell, that then collides with the GPIO pins you need to use for the buttons, so what you do is change the config of the buttons module so that it uses pins normally reserved for UART or I2C and then disable those in raspi-config. that frees up the pins you need to use I2S audio again.

It's a lot simpler than it sounds, just takes a bit of rational thinking because with those buttons and that screen + I2S there are free no GPIO pins left.

8. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

That's cool, lots of emulators on it :) I have a pi-zero knocking about...

9. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Nice looking result. I wouldn't mind one of these.

10. Dr Jeep

Yeh it was a fun little build, only a few hours work if you have all the right bits to hand first (excluding print time), I struggled to edit the provided STL for the case to add a speaker grill so I made up a drilling template to do this.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1869080

11. Dr Jeep

Yeh you aren't going to be running the dreamcast or even the N64 emu struggles a bit. But the standard Mame stuff works ok and NeoGeo is pretty much perfect with a few tweaks. Had good results with Super Nintendo and Sega Mastersystem as well.

That means I can play chaos engine and Final Blade, everything else is just a bonus really.

Amiga emu might work (though it's close on a RPI3 and even though it's got single core affinity you have the overhead on the zero of that core doing everything else as well)

12. Dr Jeep

Pi Zero is hell of a thing....if you'd have told me I could buy a tiny board like that for £5 (or find it sellotaped to the front of a magazine) a few years ago that was as fast as the desktop computer I was using in 2004 then I'd have laughed my head off.

Spoon Unit likes this.