Poll: What steppers are people using with success in Titan?

Discussion in 'Titan' started by Stian Indal Haugseth, Dec 4, 2016.

?

What steppers are people using with success in Titan?

1. OMC 17HS08-1004S 1.8deg 20mm 13Ncm

50.0%
  2. OMC 17HS10-0704S 1.8deg 25mm 18Ncm

40.0%
  3. OMC 17HS13-0404S 1.8deg 34mm 26Ncm

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Wantai 42BYGHW208P4 0.9deg 47mm 40Ncm

20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

I'm wondering what motors people have success with on the Titan?

I am struggling a bit with the 13Ncm pancake motors and wondering if its just me. Considering the 18Ncm or 26Ncm motors from OMC.

Please write down what motor with specs you are using if its not on the list.

2. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I am using the 18Ncm at the moment without issues but I got the 13Ncm also here now. I am planning to switch to them because they have no connectors and without connectors I get about 10mm more build volume on the IDEX setup.
    So maybe some news in a few days...

3. Stian Indal Haugseth

I noticed that too on Chases dual titan mod. I could not have Vulcano with connector up on the 40Ncm as it just brushed the top frame plate. And to the side it hits the Y endstop. So I prefer no connector now as I put on a Microfit3 anyways.

4. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

My testing with the OMC 17HS08-1004S (1.8deg 20mm 13Ncm) on Chase's Dual Titan Direct is not extensive but seems fine based on a few hours of print time. I will say that the fit of the Titan idler arm on each I tested was too tight and required VERY LIGHT reaming with a 5 mm drill bit to avoid a fit so tight that you could rotate the stepper using the idler arm. Given that these little steppers have little torque margin, I do not believe you can afford to have them fighting the friction of a too tight idler arm.

5. Stian Indal Haugseth

If you have any, please try some carbon fibre filament. Maybe something else with some other stuff in it. I have had several good prints with the 13Ncm motor but now I have ordered both 18Ncm and 26Ncm motors for testing :)

6. lance

lance Well-Known Member

I'm using a 13n pancake, currently it's pushing 30mms/3 out of a 1.2mm volcano. Just did a half meter tall spiralized vase with 0.9mm layer height In 3.5 hours

#6 lance, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  7. Stian Indal Haugseth

How hot does the motor get?

8. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

13Ncm on the straight extruder and 18Ncm on the Volcano. Both are extruding fine (with DuetWiFi) and hardly raise in temperature during printing.

9. Stian Indal Haugseth

I am starting to believe I have damaged my 13Ncm steppers. First time I used them I forgot to lower the current limiter and they got very hot! But not melting enamel smell hot so I thought I got away with it. Unfortunately I know too well what a burned motor smells like. It's not quite like the magic smoke smell but bad enough :rolleyes:

But.. after some thought I'm getting more and more convinced the magnets might have become partly demagnetized. Not sure what rating the magnets are in the OMC motors. Need to give them an call.

Either that or I'm not using my Titan right!

10. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

Stian, the motors are rated to heat up to 80 celsius

11. marcosfg

marcosfg Member

I have received 2 titan't with the wantai motors and although the have the highest torque of them all, I am struggling to get them push the filament through the PTFE tube.

Still haven't managed to extrude anything using the supplied v6...

Any of you had these problems?

12. Stian Indal Haugseth

I just got answer from OMC that the motors are rated to 80 degrees at 0 degree ambient environmental temp. So at max environmental temp at 50 degrees + 80 degrees is within spec. That is 130 degrees. But then the magnets will start degrading. They also say the magnets are rated to 130 degrees.

Not sure when the wire enamel starts to melt but it is a possibility I have had higher temperature and the magnets might not be as strong any more.

13. Stian Indal Haugseth

I have not had any problems with the big wantai 40Ncm motors. With the old direct extruders and the titans.