Possibilities for an Enclosure (for filtering purposes)

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Yakiimo, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Yakiimo

Yakiimo Member

I don't want to start a war on here - this is just a personal preference - but I am looking for options to do HEPA filtering around a BigBox. There are a couple of printers on the market now that have it built in. However for a BigBox I would need to either buy a 3rd party enclosure like this one (which I am willing to do if the price is right) or build my own (with no power tools).

The reasons for wanting a HEPA filtered enclosure, if you are interested:
    • Maybe the ultrafine particulates / particulate matter (UFPs) from 3d printers will turn out to be harmless but I am not confident about that yet and prefer to play it safe.
    • My home (I think most homes in Japan) are not well ventilated - central air is mostly non-existent and room units are not usually run continuously. That leaves doors and windows which are not reliable enough to provide 24h ventilation.
    • Besides the UFPs, printing odors (including PLA) will probably get the printer kicked out of the house quickly. Printer vs Typhoon is not something I want to see.
    • Also due to the small living space, any reduction of noise is welcome.
    • An enclosure is or can be latched to protect the printer from inquisitive minions.
    If you have any ideas, either 3rd party or something that can be made relatively easily, please share your ideas here.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I intend on mostly enclosing mine as it lives in the garage where temperature issues can arise. I intend on something pretty simple like a front door on hinges then a hinged roof.

3. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

I want to enclose both to keep microfine particles inside, and at the same time keep a nice thermal gradient as I intend on printing in exotic filaments (one of the reasons I bought it, was the 400C so I could do PEEK). The problem is you don't want a lot of airflow to keep the temperature constant/warm but before you open it you want to vent the contents. I am thinking a fan based acrylic box (over the open parts) where it will have temperature control on the fan to make sure we don't overheat and a manual button that you fire before opening the box that blows the contents out a vent (which I have to put in because of my glowforge anyway)

4. Yakiimo

Yakiimo Member

That sounds great. Are you going to custom design that or use some existing parts?

5. Henry feldman

My plan is a simple box of Acrylic on top (I guess like the Cone-Of-Silence from Get Smart) plus replace the cut-out pieces with turn-locks and a door on a hinge with a hole at the top. I can then print a flange that will bolt onto the hole and have a DC fan feeding into dryer hose to the outside vent. I can add a temperature control and switch via one of the bazillion arduinos I have sitting around (the funny thing is I order from AdaFruit so often they constantly throw in a free trinket, so I literally have a ziplock bag full of them). Will definitely post progress. Of course that would presuppose I have my BigBox up and running!

6. Yakiimo

Yakiimo Member

Had never seen The Cone of Silence. Nice. Looking forward to seeing your progress (and good luck receiving the BigBox asap).

7. Henry feldman

You had a very culturally poor childhood (or you were born after 1975 say). But more amusingly the cone of silence as was in the show, was actually a result of very low budget and it was all they could do, and it ended up being a running meme that was one of the lasting things from the show.

K3LAG likes this.
  8. K3LAG

K3LAG Active Member

They "missed it by that much."

The car I'm building (In my avatar) is chassis #86. I'm trying to figure out how to tie Max into it somehow.

Sorry about being off topic, but I couldn't resist. I actually own the entire series on DVD.

9. Yakiimo

Yakiimo Member

Get Smart looks fun - it's hard to go wrong with Mel Brooks.

Regarding enclosures, I'll leave this here for anyone else who is new to the community like me - the Ultimaker 2 (with a similar form factor) has a number of filtered enclosure plans available for it. E.g. 1, 2 and several more with just a little searching. I guess those could be modified without too much trouble for the BigBox.

10. Henry feldman

Hey thanks for posting those. That looks exactly like the top I was thinking about...