Power on test - no MINTEMP error - BB1.1

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Proto_BB, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Proto_BB

Proto_BB Well-Known Member

I have recently powered on my Bigbox 1.1 for the first time. It all looks fine except for the fact I do not have the "Mintemp Bed Error" listed in the build wiki.

Did I do something wrong with the wiring? As a side note, the PT-100 connectors were normal 2 wire "servo" plugs and not clip plugs in my 1.1. I have no idea why my leads are different to those 3 wire white "clip" plugs shown in the manual. They have a clip on the end that connects the extension wire to the temp sensor but not the other end.

I should note that the heated bed is not plugged in. I'm not at that stage yet.

I confirmed all the leads I was unsure about (where they should go) with my multimeter before plugging in. I'm wondering if this is just new firmware and the wiki needs updating?

Attached Files:

2. Proto_BB

I have noticed in the photos for the V6 PT100 sensor kit is shows a standard 2 wire servo plug going into the PT100 board. This is different from what's shown in the wiki (see below) with a 3 wire plug.

http://e3d-online.com/V6-PT100-Sensor-Kit
    http://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/File:Pt1002.jpg

It seems like no one has built the 1.1 on here by the lack of response to the "is this normal" question. What's more pulling out one of the wires to the PT100 and I get "Err: MAXTEMP". Again - a bit strange. It would be good to know if this is normal behavior?

3. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok lets talk about the PT100 first. It was using three wires, yes, as shown on the picture one white, two red but if you have a look, the connector has only two PINs, both red wires go to the same PIN. I have no idea if the new ones still have two conductors in on of the cables, doesn't seem so and I don't know why this was change or if this matters.

Tha is correct, if the amplifier doesn't have a sensor connected it still has a value but this is out of range of the limit of the firmware and this error is triggered.

The error you mentioned in your first post has nothing to do with the PT100, the bed has not PT100 but a thermistor. Otherwise there would be an amplifier for the bed too.
    If you followed the guide in the Wiki then your bed is not connected yet at the stage you switch the box on for the first time, thats is why the error should appear.
    Do you have your bed connected?

4. tohara

tohara Well-Known Member

@Proto_BB

In the first post your attached picture is showing a bed temperature of 93C, that corresponds to a resistance of approx. 7.6kOhm on the bed thermistor input.
    If you have not connected the bed yet you should try to disconnect the wiring for the bed thermistor from the rumba to see if the problem is with the wiring. If it is still showing 93C you might have a bad rumba.

5. Proto_BB

Thanks for the confirmation on the wiring.
    No. At the point of that photo I did not have the bed connected. I have it connected now as I just passed that step in the Wiki.

I really hope it's not the Rumba. Do you know what the resistance should measure at the Rubma THB terminals?

6. tohara

tohara Well-Known Member

You wouldn't get any useful result by measuring resistance over the two THB pins as you are measuring over a capacitor. But i think you should get around 4.7K between pin1 and +5v. Pin2 should be shorted to GND.

You could compare with the unused thermistor inputs, they should all be the same.

7. Proto_BB

I went back through and double checked the wiring. After disconnecting and plugging it back in and I'm getting readings showing a proper temperature for the bed (well started telling me it was 49 degrees, but with the glass on the bed it stabilized to 21 degrees - which is 6 degrees more than the hot ends). Could be a loose connection on the Rumba. At this point I'm going to move forward. If it gives me any headaches again my next step will be to pull out the Rumba and check the soldered joints.