Power Supply Input AC Voltage

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Yakiimo, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Yakiimo

Yakiimo Member

I live in Japan and was thinking of ordering one. However the power here is often not friendly to imported stuff.

Does the power supply accept 100V @ 50/60Hz? To be clear, it's not 110 or 120 as is common in many places. I was surprised by the spec sheet which claims 240V OR 110V (not even a range).

2. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

As far as I can see the power supply has a switch stating "115V/230V".
    Here in Europe we have 230V but as you can read on Wikipedia this may be +-23V which all electric devices have to work with. At least they should be designed to tolerate that difference.
    So I do not find anything about a tolerance of your 100V in Japan. So lets say it is +-10V then switching to 115V would not be enough.
    I would go for a self-sourced PSU and make a deal with E3D not to send the PSU they provide.
    But maybe there will be more different options of ordering when the Kickstarter ended.
    Maybe only frame, only electronics without PSU or so... We'll see...

3. Yakiimo

Yakiimo Member

Thanks so much for that reply. It sounds like the actual PSU doesn't match the informal spec sheet and also won't be in range for Japan. That's really disappointing. I will contact them directly to ask about it and update if I hear anything useful.

4. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok I found that normally the tolerance is 10% so I was pretty good with +-10V for your supply...
    So I would not use the provided power supply in your area...

5. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah that's your best option. As far as I can say they are really helpful and will surely do anything to get you going with the printer...

6. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

Usually there is a potmeter on these types of power supply to fine tune the voltage, there is a good chance you can get it down to 100V from 110

7. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

8. Yakiimo

Yakiimo Member

That's interesting. This will be my first 3d printer so I'm not familiar with standard parts in the industry. Can you tell me what are the key points that I could use to search for similar power supplies in Japan? E.g. a specific form-factor name, specific dimensions, voltages etc? The only thing I saw on that item was "for 3D printer". If that is all there is, that's fine. I'll try to find it.

9. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

I just googled 3d printer switching power supply to find that link for you.

I think it needs to output 12V which is then inputted into the RUMBA - see the wiring diagrams here: http://reprap.org/wiki/RUMBA

The main thing aside from the correct input and output voltage for your region is the screw terminals on the back and the form factor (perhaps) for mounting.

A simple search on Amazon.com gives this: http://www.amazon.com/eTopxizu-100V-Switching-Supply-Adapter/dp/B00KYFZ088 which looks to be the right form factor, works at 100V and outputs 12V.

I hope someone else chimes in and says this is along the right lines though!

10. K3LAG

K3LAG Active Member

Looking at the pictures in the build manual, and other clues, it appears that the power supply is likely a WEHU S-400W-24. If this is correct, the specs for that power supply say the input voltage range is: 85-132VAC/170-264vac 47-63HZ 240-370VD. I would, however, confirm this with the BigBox team.

PsyVision likes this.
  11. Yakiimo

Yakiimo Member

Reply from Catriona @ BigBox Support confirms that you are at least right about the PSU being fine:

12. Yakiimo

Yakiimo Member

Thanks for the help all! This is one issue down. On to the next one before I place an order.