Pre-sale questions

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Tripp, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Tripp

Tripp Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, I was wondering about a few things before I purchase a big box.

For starters, how is it capable of 0.05mm layer height with 3d printed parts in it? And wouldn't that just make it more expensive? Why was that done?

Second, I noticed on kick starter that they should be sent out in about a week. Any idea when everything else will be sent out after?

2. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Well-Known Member

Most 3d printers you buy have 3d printed part. 3d printers can hold tight tolerances if necessary. Though for the components used, they are used as structural pieces or pieces that only rely on is initial location and then are calibrated to its position and not its tolerance. (Hope that makes sense).

As for non kick starter backers, if everything runs smoothly in the next week, it is looking like mid to late march. However, it is a first come first serve basis so the earlier you order the sooner it will arrive after KS orders have been fulfilled.

3. Tripp

Tripp Well-Known Member

Well, besides $200 Chinese knockoffs, most 3d printers don't come with 3d printed parts anymore, so I disagree there.

As far as March. Okay, thank you. I may just settle on a Wanhao i3. Not sure if I want to wait.

4. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Well-Known Member

I know of a few printers that have 3d printed parts in them still (lulzbot, Up Box, Robo, etc.) but just because a part is 3d printed doesn't make it any worse or better than an injection molded or metal part. But as for your question, the Z-axis that gives you the resolution you are asking about is controlled by threaded rods made out of high quality SS. I recommend waiting as you will be more happy with choosing a bigbox over a wanhao i3. I know it's no fun waiting as all the backers have been waiting for months, but you wont be disappointed especially with the performance of the hotends. A lot of people buy E3 hotends and mod their printers just to have the performance of an E3 hotend.

5. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

It really depends on where you want to be in the 3d printing arena. I have been using printers for almost 3 years and use them for high tolerance engineering projects. These projects require reliability and repeatability that I have found difficult to maintain but have managed to overcome. The quality of the engineering of BigBox kit and the excellent results that have already been achieved by the very early builds has impressed me enough to order one. Look at the Google+ group for more information.

Mike

albert stouder likes this.
  6. Tripp

Tripp Well-Known Member

I do appreciate the reply, but I will say that a RoBo is definitely injection molded (at least now, as I owned an r1+) and the up is the $200 I believe, but I can't remember. Either way, I do appreciate the reply. I may wait. It is tough though. It's just a little hard because it's essentially twice the price, and I'm a little disappointed in that one aspect. I do like the auto bed leveling, as I loved this on my R1 and how it's bigger. Twice the price is hard to swallow thoug . I was wondering. So it is a kit?

7. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

You can have a ready build one.

8. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

What actually is your objection to 3D parts out of curiosity ? There is one significant positive which is with 3D printed parts and open source design it's possible to remake or replace any part with or without parts supply from the manufacturer, plus of course the modding capability that gives you. Injection moulded parts mean large scale commitment to a design and the BB is a machine that I think will go through cycles of innovation and improvement. Having to commit to 1000's of units and very expensive tooling doesn't work in that scenario.

9. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Actually to irony is. About 40% of the injection moulded parts on my current printer have been replaced with 3D printed ones because they were naff and required design improvements to get the best out of the frame :)