Prevent filament oozing before print?

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by alien2108, May 25, 2014.

1. alien2108

alien2108 Member

Hello all!

I mainly print PLA and whenever I heat my E3D to 205-210C which works good for my PLA, PLA starts to ooze out of the head. To prevent that should I do retract of the filament at the end of the job (now default is 1mm retraction in Simplify3D)? I am afraid to use much retract as I read all this stories about clogging of E3D and retraction....

Or do I maybe have my temp to high (well I wouldn't really say...)?

Any advice appreciated!

2. Josh

Josh Administrator
    Staff Member

It is perfectly normal to see plastic ooze out of the head at the end of the print. There will be a certain amount of residual pressure which will slowly be relieved by very slow extrusion for a few minutes after the print has finished. This is not normally a problem, an is one of the reasons that people use skirts or brims to "prime" the nozzle at the beginning of their prints.

With a Prusa i3, you should not need that much retraction (no more than 1mm), and with a geared extruder there is plenty of torque to re-start.

3. alien2108

alien2108 Member

I have lowered the temp to 195C and now it is much better. I have Prusa i3. My question for the retraction remains, is it OK do retract for example some 3mm at the end of print and then again push out 3mm on start?

My v6 is on a way and as I understand the retraction related problems should be much less....

4. Josh

Josh Administrator
    Staff Member

You should have no problems with that whatsoever, both on v5 / v6.

5. Creo

Creo Member

I print with a prusa i3, unfortunately my E3D isn't mounted yet…have a magma but my end code retracts 10mm as it lifts the z a bit at the end of a print…start code homes, raises z, extrudes 10mm, then begins printing. Haven't had any problems yet, I can leave printer sitting with hot end at extrusion temp and no ooze :D

6. Josh

Josh Administrator
    Staff Member

When printing with The Kraken and switching between materials, a 15mm retraction really helped reduce oozing.