Printbite and recalibrating

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Tony Morel, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Tony Morel

Tony Morel Active Member

I'm probably being a bit dense, but what are the steps needed when adding printbite to the bed ?

1) clean glass
    2) peel off and stick to glass
    3) I'm guessing magical recalibrating, but exactly where in the build manual do I need to go back to?

I'm on a single headed Pro on the original firmware (which will be another thread in it's own right...)

2. Tony Morel

Tony Morel Active Member

After much ferkling about and getting nowhere I decided I'd film the problem in case that gave you any more clues.
    Got the studio lights out, hit auto level and it only went and bloomin worked.
    Turn the studio lights off, levelling goes wonky.
    Go back to the normal glass bed and it works regardless of lighting conditions.

Have now moved the printer so it's a bit less in the dark corner and it's happily printing.
    Can't imagine why PrintBite needs better lighting than just glass but I'm going to call it a success of sorts, and as I'm on a roll, I'll try adding these silicone socks and fiddle with PID tuning.

3. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

I suspect it something to do with the colour and perhaps the semi-reflectiveness of printbite. I would suggest a change to MBL, which may sort you out, or move the IR to the bed using Greg's part (which is what I have also done).

4. Tony Morel

Tony Morel Active Member

It does have a strange reflectiveness but at least my test cube with the socks came out lovely, so with it now printing again I am currently trying to get my head round whose branch - I'm thinking it's github.com/BigBox3D/Firmware's marlin_direct_pro.hex - that I need to be using.
    Once I've got that going, then I'll look at moving the IR to the bed.
    Appreciate all the help :)

5. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

If you're thinking of firmware to move to then I'm not sure there is an official BigBox3D one that is for a Pro that does MBL. Take a look at Alex's ones - https://jenkins.alitecs.de/ If you have OctoPrint then the firmware plugin by tohara is mint.

6. Jasons_BigBox

Jasons_BigBox Well-Known Member

I'd second that. The Mesh Bed Levelling in Alex's firmware works beautifully.

7. richgain

richgain Well-Known Member

The triple combination of MBL with Alex's firmware, using PrintBite on the bed, and moving the Z-axis sensor onto the print bed has cured all my BigBox printing problems. I kept my official glass bed in reserve and stuck my PrintBite onto another piece of glass I cut to size.